1st Range Day with SAUM

Lethal_Chica

I finally got out with my 6.5 SAUM yesterday. It felt great to get out and shoot my own handloads. Thank you to all who helped me acquire the correct gear and provided advice on handloading. Way more rewarding that buying a box off the shelf.

I can tell you that I was sun whipped and wiped by the end of the day. I have a nice burn across my neck where my shirt was open. I took my time to break-in the barrel that GA Precision suggested. I am not complaining at all, but wow did it take time to clean up the barrel between shots. After about shot 7 it became considerably more easy to clean up the barrel. Shot info below, to include the times of each shot. You will see how much time I took to clean between shots... and drink copious amounts of water from the dang heat. The photo below of the target is my last 6 shots.

Things I learned... I like the rifle! BIG plus, right! Seriously, it feels good shooting it. I shot off a portable metal table for the break-in. Next range session I am going to prone out for more stable shooting. I won't shoot there later in the evening, the sun was facing me making it more difficult to use the scope - or I will make a sun barrier. This is not my normal range, but is a good option since my normal 600 yard range is closed. I need to better understand the mil system. Converting math is my head is not my strong suit.
You need a lot of patches to properly clean a rifle for barrel break-in. Arm the Labradar or it will not record. Make sure the Labradar is pointed where you need it or it will not record. All good lessons to learn ;)

My loads yesterday were 142 gr ABLR seating 20 thou off the lands, CCI 250 primers, and 59 grains of H1000 powder using new ADG brass.

I shot 15 rounds in total. Cleaning completely after every shot through the 1st ten shots. Then I shot 5 shots and cleaned again. .... Afterwards my work was rewarded with my feet up and a few drams of Macallan scotch..... Life is good, even in times of Corona virus

Shot 1 @Noon
25 yards
6" low and dead on left to right
No velocity recorded - armed but not aimed correctly

Shot 2 @1320
25 yards
Minor scope adjustment in elevation
5.5" low and dead on left to right
2858 FPS

Shot 3 @1408
25 yards
Scope adjustment for elevation
3.5 " low and left to right dead on
2893 FPS

Shot 4 @1445
25 yards
Scope adjustment for elevation
Bullseye
2903 FPS

Shot 5 @1530
25 yards
Bullseye (through same hole as shot 4)
2913 FPS

Shot 6 @1600
100 yards
10" high and 1.5" left
2911 FPS

Shot 7 @1630
100 yards.
0.5" lower than shot 6
2906 fps

Shot 8 @1645
100 yards
Scope adjustment made
2" high and 2.5" right
2882 fps

Shot 9 @1705
100 Yards
Scope adjustment
2" low and 2" right
2893 fps

Shot 10 @1720
100 yards
Scope adjustment
2" high and 1" left
No fps recorded - not armed

5 SHOT STRING
Shot 11 @1745
100 Yards
With .25" of shot 10
2886 fps

Shot 12 @1746
100 Yards
Within .25" of shot 10
2878 fps

Shot 13 @ 1748
100 Yards
Scope adjustment
Bullseye - .5" high from dead center

Shot 14 @ 1749
100 Yards
.25" above shot 13
2889 fps

Shot 15 @1750
100 yards
.25" above shot 14
2873 fps

1589710750427.png

1589710716620.png

The table looks a little springy. If you can do your shooting from prone that might help. But for all that cleaning, looks good. Your speeds should come up over the first 150-200 rounds. Entirely up to you but there is a school of thought for no break in and no/rare cleaning. That's where I am. I don't see a difference and I don't have to worry about fouling shots.

After all that heat, best time of the day...Macallan time!

Have a 300 WM in the works, now I'm rethinking should of went SA mag of some sort.

Anxious to see this thing along.

The table looks a little springy. If you can do your shooting from prone that might help. But for all that cleaning, looks good. Your speeds should come up over the first 150-200 rounds. Entirely up to you but there is a school of thought for no break in and no/rare cleaning. That's where I am. I don't see a difference and I don't have to worry about fouling shots.
The terrible was terribly unstable for shooting. But it did the job to get the barrel broke in. Prone shooting next time!!

Way to stick with your initial sighting in! :) You achieved the desired results. Different barrel makers have different cleaning recommendations, and GAP's is demanding. Check out John Krieger's method sometime. Lapped barrels don't require any break in. PS I agree with TRG about solid platforms. My range has 3" concrete Platforms plus room for prone shooting. Cheers 🥂

Way to stick with your initial sighting in! :) You achieved the desired results. Different barrel makers have different cleaning recommendations, and GAP's is demanding. Check out John Krieger's method sometime. Lapped barrels don't require any break in. PS I agree with TRG about solid platforms. My range has 3" concrete Platforms plus room for prone shooting. Cheers 🥂

Agree 110% about shooting from a solid platform. To be honest, it was just easier for the break-in process and to get close. Now I can start working on load development and refine my skills. I will 100% shoot prone next time. We will be installing a shooting bench there soon. Will be heavy and probably even sinks posts in the ground for additional support.

Agree 110% about shooting from a solid platform. To be honest, it was just easier for the break-in process and to get close. Now I can start working on load development and refine my skills. I will 100% shoot prone next time. We will be installing a shooting bench there soon. Will be heavy and probably even sinks posts in the ground for additional support.
I like your style :) Sounds like you will have a quality bench soon. To be honest and save time, I use a 4' folding table at times. It takes an hour to get to the private range. 🍻

Thanks for the update Victoria! That sounds like a really L O N G day. Breaking the barrel in like that will pay off in terms of easier cleaning and being able to fire more shots between cleanings. I like to break in barrels like you did but I have to do it over 2 or 3 range sessions.

Have fun with that awesome rifle/scope!

-- Todd

Great results and dedication. We're all rooting for you. I'm very fortunate in that i break in/clean new barrels in my back yard. Only thing that fusses is the horse (and my wife). I use my cleaning bench/stand in the basement, step back outside and fire again.
Have a permanent bench in lower field for shooting groups/working up loads. Guess I'm pretty spoiled.
Good for you! We're proud of you! Keep posting your successesđź‘Ť

I'm still working up loads for the new GAP 6.5 SAUM I got last week. Also followed their break-in recommendations and could only get 10 shots in the first session so you got further than I did. It got better from that point on as the copper fouling dropped off pretty quickly afterward. I'm now just under 100 rds and can run a 25 shot string with little copper fouling.

Your velocities look very close to what I was getting with 143 ELDX and similar charge weight in ADG brass. Never could get the 143 ELDX to shoot well as the bullet shape/ gap reamer forces me to seat the ELDXs too deep.
If you haven't already, I would suggest using the Wheeler method to determine distance to the lands for whatever bullets you hope to shoot. The 140 Berger Elite hunters look like I could seat them out to right about my mag limits. The 156 Berger EH have me starting back a little farther but the range session with them yesterday looked promising with 1/2 moa at 0.060" OL.

H1000 didn't start showing good ES/SD until I got about 60.5 grains with the ELDXs. Velocities were still below 2950 at that point with my 23" barrel. I started with 57.0 grains of RL26 for the 156 EH which put me about 2830 fps. No signs of pressure yet on anything I've shot. I still have a ways to go on the load development journey for this rifle but the range is less than 5 miles from the house and I've got enough components to keep me running despite the covid semi-lockdown and run on reloading supplies.

I'm pretty sure you'll like your new GAP rifle. This last one made 4 for me.

I see a war wagon at about 25 yards that with some lumber and some leveling jacks would make a pretty nice portable bench. It could be moved to any distance that you'd care to shoot, or even towed to another property.

Of course you'd build the bench out of 4x's and 2x's and put leveling jacks on the corners, maybe even some poles to hang a tarp as a sunshade,
1589830580706.png

but you get the idea.

I see a war wagon at about 25 yards that with some lumber and some leveling jacks would make a pretty nice portable bench. It could be moved to any distance that you'd care to shoot, or even towed to another property.

Of course you'd build the bench out of 4x's and 2x's and put leveling jacks on the corners, maybe even some poles to hang a tarp as a sunshade,View attachment 194309
but you get the idea.

That is a great idea. I have a 6-12 trailer just like the one in the photo.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.