1st or 2nd gen magneto speed

clemens

Is there a substantial Benafit to buy the magneto speed v3 over the 1st generation model. Other then price. $179.00 compared to $350-$400 sounds good to me.

The v3 has more barrel mounting options as for bigger barrels and suppressor. Some guy use different mounting options via rails. I am sure there will be some along with more information soon

Thanks

Buck

I bought the cheap one, then bought a mounting kit from the mfg (think it was about $20), made an alignment tool from a dowel, and use an old pistol case for carrying it. I haven't needed the mounting kit yet and I've used it a bunch. I think the $150 savings was worth it, does everything my buddies v3 does.

I paid less than $160 for my Magneto Speed chrony. I fixed the slipping off the barrel problem with duct tape - taking a short piece, turning over length wise 1/3 so sticky side up, doubling over one end to facilitate removal and wrapping the tape 1/4 inch from end of barrel - no slipping.

I record the shots in my log book, then enter the info into an Open Office (free down load) spread sheet then do stats including 95% velocity spread probabilities using 10-15 data points for my rodent shooting. Other info such as load data, date/time, location and temps are recorded.

Can't see any advantage in spending more money.

The Sporter is just fine and if you want the V3, without the price tag, get the MagnetoSpeed XFR dongle, with the free APP, that makes it very user friendly through phone/tablet.

wiserprecision.com makes several nice accessories for them also. I have 2 Sporter and 2 Wiser mount systems.

It kinda sounds like people are comparing the V3 to the Sporter model.

The V1 has a different control box and (I think) different bayonet. But I don't know the details of the changes.

I found a run down of the various versions

So with mounting it somewhere off of the barrel (extending rail mount), and running the XFR adapter and app, would the general consensus be that the Sporter would be worth the savings vs the V3?

I have a question to all of you that have any version. I got one for Christmas and have not had a chance to use it yet. I have standard hunting rifle barrels that are tapered and waiting for the tapered mounts or shims to install on my rifles. My question is, I was hoping to use the V3 to work up load data, but herd that it will change impacts with it on the barrel. I don't care if they are not zeroed as long as I can trust the group size will not change with the unit off the rifle. I thought it would be nice to see the velocity, SD, and ES as well as the group for each group I am testing at the time. Will it work or is it just a pipe dream of mine.

I have a question to all of you that have any version. I got one for Christmas and have not had a chance to use it yet. I have standard hunting rifle barrels that are tapered and waiting for the tapered mounts or shims to install on my rifles. My question is, I was hoping to use the V3 to work up load data, but herd that it will change impacts with it on the barrel. I don't care if they are not zeroed as long as I can trust the group size will not change with the unit off the rifle. I thought it would be nice to see the velocity, SD, and ES as well as the group for each group I am testing at the time. Will it work or is it just a pipe dream of mine.
Possibly some barrels it changes group size, some it doesn't depends on gun and barrel. The shorter and thicker the less the effects. With hunting tappered barrel im going to say pipe dream.

With the Magnetospeed mounted on the barrel it can affect group size by making it better OR worse. It's also possible that it won't affect group size. It all depends on the "sweet spot" of the load.

While working up a load for my Rem 700 300 WM recently rebarreled with a 26" Hart fluted barrel, it actually tightened my groups when I put it on.
Probably the biggest advantage to a LabRadar is nothing on the muzzle to affect it either way.
Im finding for as great as it is not having to set up equipment in front of the muzzle/firing line, (Ive used a optical Chrony for the last 25 years) , While bench shooting, I like to know the velocity of every shot I take so I do see a LabRadar in my very near future. Not saying the Magnetospeed isnt a great Chrony but I like the ability to shoot groups while getting velocities. Kinda wish I would've done the "buy once, cry once" on that particular acquisition.Just my 2 cents...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.