1st Mule Deer down with my 6.5 SAUM

It was a fantastic day to hunt in Hayden, Co yesterday., little wind and lots of sunshine. The day started early with hike I thought was just going to be a little uphill jaunt with my guide. Little did I know she planned to march us up a mountain to a peak to glass for deer. All I can say is thank God it was dark and I had no idea how steep and far it was ahead of time because I don't think I would have done it. Lol. By the time I got to the top my lungs we on fire. I like the oxygen level much better at 60 feet above sea level where I live year round!

Once I cold breathe again we settled in to glass. Lots of does filtered out at first light and then some nice bucks far off in the distance. It is amazing how well the Mule deer blend into the sage brush. We made a few attempts in the morning to stalk a whopper of a buck but the dang does just kept locking us down where we could not move. We made a list ditch effort on the whopper buck, who was bedded with his ladies, but after a long and slow stalk, we bumped him in some heavy sage brush and I watched him trot away with his harem. It was a very cool sight to watch. All in all the morning hunt was just amazing.

We set up on a ridge over looking an alfalfa field for the evening hunt. Nothing moved for hours and then all of a sudden the does started filtering off the mountain sides and into the fields. Easily saw 150 does. I had a few walk so close to me I could see them blink. As the legal shooting time closed in, a nice 4x4 buck filtered off a ridge with a couple more does. When he got to about 350 yards the 6.5 SAUM with the 156 Berger did a fantastic job. He dropped in his tracks. I could not be more happy and blessed for an amazing hunting adventure.View attachment 221319View attachment 221320View attachment 221321
Congrats on the nice buck. And great pics, as always.
great buck ! I love that area.

Wonderful story. I've hunted on both sides of the planet and I always come back to mulies. We who live out west are spoiled beyond belief. I leave tomorrow for my Colorado mulie hunt. Can't wait! Be careful. It's sooooooo addictive. :)

Congratulations. The practice paid off. Getting physically fit before the hunt makes it easier and lowers the burn. Also, if you are going to hunt at altitude, 8000 ft and above, it helps to do some hiking weekends the month before at close to the same altitude. Getting acclimatized before really helps.

Congratulations on that nice buck. You did an excellent job on the write up. If you have not done any writing outside of the Internet, you should. The pictures were fantastic! Thank you for an excellent and entertaining post. I am looking forward to many more in the future.
Johnny

It was a fantastic day to hunt in Hayden, Co yesterday., little wind and lots of sunshine. The day started early with hike I thought was just going to be a little uphill jaunt with my guide. Little did I know she planned to march us up a mountain to a peak to glass for deer. All I can say is thank God it was dark and I had no idea how steep and far it was ahead of time because I don't think I would have done it. Lol. By the time I got to the top my lungs we on fire. I like the oxygen level much better at 60 feet above sea level where I live year round!

Once I cold breathe again we settled in to glass. Lots of does filtered out at first light and then some nice bucks far off in the distance. It is amazing how well the Mule deer blend into the sage brush. We made a few attempts in the morning to stalk a whopper of a buck but the dang does just kept locking us down where we could not move. We made a list ditch effort on the whopper buck, who was bedded with his ladies, but after a long and slow stalk, we bumped him in some heavy sage brush and I watched him trot away with his harem. It was a very cool sight to watch. All in all the morning hunt was just amazing.

We set up on a ridge over looking an alfalfa field for the evening hunt. Nothing moved for hours and then all of a sudden the does started filtering off the mountain sides and into the fields. Easily saw 150 does. I had a few walk so close to me I could see them blink. As the legal shooting time closed in, a nice 4x4 buck filtered off a ridge with a couple more does. When he got to about 350 yards the 6.5 SAUM with the 156 Berger did a fantastic job. He dropped in his tracks. I could not be more happy and blessed for an amazing hunting adventure.View attachment 221319View attachment 221320View attachment 221321
Congrats.... beautiful pics!

Wow, grat h

Way to go!!!!!!!!! Sounds like a great hunt you had and watch out for the fires.

Ace

GREAT STORY-PICS, Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.