1st LOADs ever.....

Thank you!! I hope to encourage more women to learn to reload after I am further along in the learning process.

I have been taking women waterfowl hunting on the eastern shore of Maryland for over a decade. I've been a guide for many years and I love taking women outdoors to hunt and shoot. I took a group of women to Alberta Canada this year and we slayed ducks and geese... nothing like waterfowl hunting in Canada. I've hunted waterfowl all over the US, to include the famed Arkansas, and Canada is at the top of the list, hands down. This is a photo I took while hunting this past fall in Canada...
I know! I remember seeing you post. Get those girls to the bench!!

Just so you know, Bridgeville has a 1000 yard range now. Either to try it, or to shoot IBS registered benchrest matches at either 600 or 1000. Just some info.

That is good to know. I have not been to bridgeville in ages to shoot. It is nice?

Covered firing lines with concrete pads on both 600 and 1000, good benches, target carriers in butts and a adequate club house. Something else to think about if you don't already have some, is some type of wind flags that you'd be able to see through your scope or with your eyes at shorter distances. Without them, you will have to many unexplained shots that went here....and there... which will leave you wondering if it's you, the rifle, or the ammo. Use them no matter what range you are shooting at.....from 100 to infinity. Just a 5 mph wind from 3 or 9 o'clock can open your groups by a 1/4" or better at 100 yards. A simple fiberglass driveway marker rod and a 2' long piece of surveyors tape tied to the top is an inexpensive way to get started. Both can be had at home depot or lowes. Here is a couple good videos from some people that knows what they are talking about.

and a article worth reading that is more to the side of service rifle competition, but the wind reading tips apply to any shooting.

Last edited:
Pics of my new loads and my bench (various items laid out just to show what I am working with)

Very nice bench, ma'am! You're starting out much better than I did. What are you using for a case trimmer? I might have missed it, but I didn't see one on that bench that you could literally eat off of.... ;)

Excellent advice. Please use a flag ( or flags) any time you're shooting groups unless it is dead calm.
This removes or explains any curious deviations in your group. I shoot to 400 yds in my back yard. With 2 flags out it is common for them to be showing two totally different conditions.between you and the target!
A simple drop card with wind values is a great help.

Covered firing lines with concrete pads on both 600 and 1000, good benches, target carriers in butts and a adequate club house. Something else to think about if you don't already have some, is some type of wind flags that you'd be able to see through your scope or with your eyes at shorter distances. Without them, you will have to many unexplained shots that went here....and there... which will leave you wondering if it's you, the rifle, or the ammo. Use them no matter what range you are shooting at.....from 100 to infinity. Just a 5 mph wind from 3 or 9 o'clock can open your groups by a 1/4" or better at 100 yards. A simple fiberglass driveway marker rod and a 2' long piece of surveyors tape tied to the top is an inexpensive way to get started. Both can be had at home depot or lowes. Here is a couple good videos from some people that knows what they are talking about.

and a article worth reading that is more to the side of service rifle competition, but the wind reading tips apply to any shooting.

Great advice! Thank you so much! I will watch the videos and glean the information.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.