1st kill

chucknbach

Here's my sons first big game kill. Got him in a section of state land in area 23. Couldn't see any from the road decided to walk over the ridge. found some at about 800yds bedded down with no way to get close unseen. So we walked toward them in plain view got within 400 yrds and spotted 2 does with in 150yds to our right. Dropped to the prone to take a shot but he couldn't get one for the brush and they were moving into a draw. Crawled up to 100yds and spotted 2 bucks in the draw. His buck spooked and ran a short way up the hill and my son drilled him. The other buck ran a little further stopped and I drilled him. 2 others ran to about 150yds and I took one of those.

We got up to congratulate ourselves and looked to our left and 2 does were at 50yds coming to check out what was going on. Too bad we were out of tags and didn't have AR's.

The second one I got turned out to be a fawn buck. oops Got about a whole 5lbs of meat outta that one. These 'lopes have been eating good as they were loaded with fat I couldn't tell if I had an antelope or minature cow hanging in my garage.

Picture019.jpg

He's using a Ruger compact .243 with a 105gn Amax. Scope is a Burris Timberline 4.5 to 14 x 32mm. It's his sisters gun but he liked it better than his Howa 7mm-08 and she wasn't using it this season.

Nice! I really think the A-Max is about the perfect pronghorn bullet. High BC, expands rapidly, massive hydrolic shock, etc..... I was debating taking my 7mm-08 with 162 grain A-Max but took the 257 Rob instead. Our does didnt have hardly any fat on them. Anyway thats a nice buck, probably one of the bigger ones that we saw while we were there.

Nice! I really think the A-Max is about the perfect pronghorn bullet. High BC, expands rapidly, massive hydrolic shock, etc..... I was debating taking my 7mm-08 with 162 grain A-Max but took the 257 Rob instead. Our does didnt have hardly any fat on them. Anyway thats a nice buck, probably one of the bigger ones that we saw while we were there.

That Amax is the only thing I found that that rifle will shoot. I tried everything. It's spitting them out at 2450fps so the shock isn't to bad. My .243 on the other hand shoots 87 gn VLD's at 3180fps, I learned this year that under 200yds I'll be shooting them in the neck or head.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.