1st ice fishing outing this year ...

Nice catch! Horrible lack of ice in North Idaho this year. Had the boat out last weekend where I usually ice fish this time of year - lol

Attachments

• 1488057112270.jpg
    1488057112270.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 170
  • KIMG0075.jpg
    KIMG0075.jpg
    538.1 KB · Views: 172
Fat from head to tail!
I've found that the olive oil really makes the trout much more juicy as it is a rather lean fish. All of my marinades have an olive oil/lemon juice base. That perch has got to be super tasty. I got a fat one that was filled with large roe so I cured it with garlic powder and some salt for a few hours and it was amazing on crackers.
We've been hitting it hard up here in CO, mostly at Antero Res where it had the lowest recorded temp in the US of -44F not long ago. It was -22F and -31F on two of our outings but fishing for large cutt-bows and rainbows has been great.

OK, no ice here so went casting for cohos in Lake Michigan this morning. Dang! Caught 5, buddy caught 4. They are delicious this time of year as well. Normal size this time of year of being 15-17" being biggest. All caught on spawn sacks off bottom near mouth of creek going into Lake Michigan. Cold enough for rod guides to freeze but warm enough that didn't freeze butt off. Nice morning of 30 degrees so not bad day outside.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts