1st Hogs - Armasight Predator Thermal Scope

Dunno about your HOGS, but these Ferrals are extremely elusive...we only get to shoot them at night.

Once the hogs know you are after them, they go nocturnal. Normally, we cannot hunt hogs at night since the wildlife agents are concerned about poaching.

Do you have strict hunting laws you have to follow for hogs, or can you go shoot them any time you want to?

Yes we can shoot them anytime we want...that is with the Farmers permission on his land of course.

Must be nice!

One of the guys I work with, ScMaleRn was born in Rhodesia and lived in South Africa for a few years. I suggested you two chat since you have that in common.

What gun restrictions do you have in South Africa? Any limit on the types of guns you can own? There are a few guys from Australia on this site that are limited to bolt action guns.

Last edited:
As recreational Hunter you are allowed Three Rifles and a handheld gun, if you have Sport Hunter or Dedicated Hunter Status, you may have as many weapons as you can get licenses for...But yes I think it is frowned upon if you have/or want two similar weapons...but if you're motivation is good and approved..great!!

Each of the Statusse's have their requirements in terms of recorded hunts per year, or attending official shoots of the Society you belong to which you need to present yearly to show that you "qualify" for the said status.

curious why you didn't put that on a semi-auto if you were after a sounder??

Great question! I would like to tell you that I have the skill, speed, and marksmanship to not need a semi, but that would be a blatant fabrication. To be honest with you, I had hoped to have already dealt with the sounder by now. That the scope was put on the 788 was a function of getting to check the recoil handling ability of the scope (.308 is about the max rated capability and nobody else has put out an online review of this scope that I know of) and because I had a slot open on the rifle that would not require taking off another optic and having to rezero later when I put my own scope back on.

scrmblr1982cj8 noted we can't hunt at night and that is partially correct, Spurwing. It varies on a state by state basis. In Texas, we are not just able to hunt at night, but encouraged to go after hogs with whatever legal means possible on private land. If you are hunting on your own land or acting as an agent for a landowner to stop depredating hogs, you don't even need a hunting license. Unlike some states, Texas does not consider feral hogs to be wildlife. Some states, however, have crazy notions that they can 'manage' their feral hogs like deer or moose go as far as imposing limits, seasons, and requiring tags to hunt, for example, California.

As recreational Hunter you are allowed Three Rifles and a handheld gun, if you have Sport Hunter or Dedicated Hunter Status, you may have as many weapons as you can get licenses for...But yes I think it is frowned upon if you have/or want two similar weapons...but if you're motivation is good and approved..great!!

Each of the Statusse's have their requirements in terms of recorded hunts per year, or attending official shoots of the Society you belong to which you need to present yearly to show that you "qualify" for the said status.

Only 3???

Great question! I would like to tell you that I have the skill, speed, and marksmanship to not need a semi, but that would be a blatant fabrication. To be honest with you, I had hoped to have already dealt with the sounder by now. That the scope was put on the 788 was a function of getting to check the recoil handling ability of the scope (.308 is about the max rated capability and nobody else has put out an online review of this scope that I know of) and because I had a slot open on the rifle that would not require taking off another optic and having to rezero later when I put my own scope back on.

scrmblr1982cj8 noted we can't hunt at night and that is partially correct, Spurwing. It varies on a state by state basis. In Texas, we are not just able to hunt at night, but encouraged to go after hogs with whatever legal means possible on private land. If you are hunting on your own land or acting as an agent for a landowner to stop depredating hogs, you don't even need a hunting license. Unlike some states, Texas does not consider feral hogs to be wildlife. Some states, however, have crazy notions that they can 'manage' their feral hogs like deer or moose go as far as imposing limits, seasons, and requiring tags to hunt, for example, California.

Texas sounds awesome!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts