1st. fox of 2012

Diffydoc

Mornin! This is my first post so I will tell about me first and then about the first fox this year. :D I live in Western Colorado, I have been reloading and refining my 'yote' gun for years and have it pretty well dialed in. I shoot a 22-250 Rem. 788. Where I live we have lots of yotes and lots of opportunities to call and hunt.
Yesterday mornin at first light I am looking around.....:D like every morning and I notice this red fox mousing around my center fence line. He was at 400yds. I got my 250 from the gun safe and went to my favorite rest. I shoot from my back porch almost daily so this fox at 400 was no real big deal. I shoot him and he drops as expected.....but then he gets up and tries to run, but can't. He dies after a 2 or 3 min of trying to run. I go and retrieve this fox and the left front leg is nearly gone at the shoulder. looking him over I notice the bullet didn't penetrate the chest at all! The shock of the 55gr. V-Max did the job....but it didn't penetrate deep enough enough to produce the clean kill I like. How about that?gun)
Anybody have similar results from V-Max's? I usually shoot fmjbt 55gr. with 38gr H-380 in this 250 with great success. I am not sure I like the V-Max's loaded the same way for anything bigger than prarie dogs. They work great on those.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.