1st elk hunt need rifle advice

SFL_Dan

Hello all! I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for awhile.

This coming hunting season I have my first (hopefully not last) back packing elk hunt. I currently have a .270 but would like to set up a new light weight rifle for longer range shooting, backpacking, and elk hunting.

I don't have much long range shooting experience, I usually do stand hunting within 300 yards for whitetail in Georgia.

I have considered:
Weatherby mark V
Bergara premier
Christensen arms ridgeline
CA Mesa (would put the additional funds to better optics)

I want to keep the rifle under $2000. I still haven't figured out my optics as of yet but it would be around the same $2000

As for a caliber I'm considering:
6.5 creedmor
6.5 prc
28 nosler
7mm
300 win

I wanted a "do all" caliber that would work for elk but would also potentially work for deer. I've never hand loaded nor do I plan on going down the rabbit hole anytime soon so I would be using over the counter ammunition for the time being.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Dan

First question is how well do you tolerate recoil? Second question is do you plan on using a muzzle break. All of the above calibers will kill elk if shot placement is precise. Some have more range than others. I think you should have 1800 fps for most bullets to do their job. Buy a cheep app for you phone and see how far you can shoot each caliber with the velocity and energy for the range you want to shoot to.

This coming hunting season I have my first (hopefully not last) back packing elk hunt. I currently have a .270 but would like to set up a new light weight rifle for longer range shooting, backpacking, and elk hunting.

I don't have much long range shooting experience, I usually do stand hunting within 300 yards for whitetail in Georgia.

I have considered:
Weatherby mark V
Bergara premier

I want to keep the rifle under $2000. I still haven't figured out my optics as of yet but it would be around the same $2000

6.5 creedmor
6.5 prc
28 nosler
7mm
300 win

I wanted a "do all" caliber that would work for elk but would also potentially work for deer. I've never hand loaded nor do I plan on going down the rabbit hole anytime soon so I would be using over the counter ammunition for the time being.

Thanks
Dan
Since your not reloading which means purchasing off the shelf, I would recommend a 7 MM or 300 WM. 300 WM would more than likely be my preference though. By the way, there have been a bunch of elk taken with .270.

None of the above. For elk I would stick with .30 calibers. The 300 WM fits the bill but ammo is expensive. I own one and love it but ammo is so dang expensive. I want to shoot it a lot and cant. I have been doing a ton a research and think the 30-06 would be a good do all cartridge. Cheaper ammo, still a .30, and can shoot 180's. Win win situation to me.

I have considered:
Weatherby mark V
Bergara premier

6.5 creedmor
6.5 prc
28 nosler
7mm
300 win

Thanks
Dan

Any of those would obviously work. My vote would be the 6.5 PRC. I think you should add the 280AI to your list. The 280AI would be a sweet do it all that can reach out and touch them a long ways away with reasonable recoil.

First question is how well do you tolerate recoil? Second question is do you plan on using a muzzle break. All of the above calibers will kill elk if shot placement is precise. Some have more range than others. I think you should have 1800 fps for most bullets to do their job. Buy a cheep app for you phone and see how far you can shoot each caliber with the velocity and energy for the range you want to shoot to.

I shoot the .270 well and have had time shooting a .300. I planned on using a muzzle break and I'll have to look deeper into the app

Oh hell I'll wade in; Fifty one years of killing elk, I kinda like bigger, heavier bullets. mom use to shoot them with a 257 bob, but for an elk rifle I'd go with the big sevens or the 300. I like fast 338 myself.

I knew a .300 would be a good choice I just wanted to dive deeper/get feed back before getting a .300

Since your not reloading which means purchasing off the shelf, I would recommend a 7 MM or 300 WM. 300 WM would more than likely be my preference though. By the way, there have been a bunch of elk taken with .270.

I know and Ive also considered changing my scope on my .270 to an adjustable turret. I currently have a browning Xbolt hc speed.

I guess I was using this hunt as an excuse to get a new rifle

Any of those would obviously work. My vote would be the 6.5 PRC. I think you should add the 280AI to your list. The 280AI would be a sweet do it all that can reach out and touch them a long ways away with reasonable recoil.
I've never heard of a 280ai. I'll have to look into it. One of the reasons I was considering a 6.5 is I know the rounds are decently priced and would allow me to put in more range time with a gun that has less recoil

If it was me, I'd stick with the 270 and use any available funds to upgrade optics or lighten the rifle.

Unless, of course, I just wanted a new rifle, and then it would be probably the bergara premier highlander in 7RM.

I have considered:
Weatherby mark V
Bergara premier

6.5 creedmor
6.5 prc
28 nosler
7mm
300 win

Thanks
Dan
The absolute most important thing you should be focusing on before trying to kill an elk at long range, is learning how to shoot at long range.

I mean truly understanding ballistics, and being able to make first round hits every time at a given range, and never exceeding that range.
In my experience this takes more than 7 months.

With that said I'd get a CA Ridgeline in 300 PRC.
It'll have long range ammo available off the shelf, with incredible ballistics

I've never heard of a 280ai. I'll have to look into it. One of the reasons I was considering a 6.5 is I know the rounds are decently priced and would allow me to put in more range time with a gun that has less recoil
Check out the 280AI and let me know what you think. 7mmRM performance with less recoil. Good factory ammo etc. i am with you on the 6.5s - they are fun to shoot. When something is fun to shoot they get shot a whole lot more.

The 270 win is fine with a 140 or 150 gr bullet out to 600-700 or so! However if you wanted added range and better do it all proformance 7mmRM will take you to 1000.

I would take the 7RM out to 1000 on elk, as long as it was set up right. My stock Sako barrel is only 9.5" twist, and has trouble stabilizing the longer, heavier bullets. With the 162 eldx I shoot, I'm under 1800 fps and 1000 ft-lbs at 1000 yds. Not ideal for that animal.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.