1st custom rig

I just ordered my first custom rifle. A trued Rem. 700 action, 26" Mike Rock barrel chambered in 7mm rem mag with 1-8.5 twist, a-5 McMillan stock, Timmney trigger. Bushing the bolt and the firing pin hole and adding an ovesized bolt handel. I'm using my own action and trigger. I was very impressed after visiting with gunsmith Chris Luckenbaugh (Aquila Firearms, La Porte, TX). I looked at some of his current projects and talked with him at length about accuracy and expectations. He promises 1/2 moa and with a wink said "it'll shoot a lot better than that." His test targets are very impressive. I still have time to make changes. Any advice or comments would be welcomed, this is my first rodeo.

The only thing I'd do if it were me is go with a 7mmWSM , with your 1-8.5 twist you can shoot the 180gr Bergers and those will give some realy long range capibility. The 7mmWSM will allow you so seat thos long pills way out of the case so its not taking up to much powder space. You will be able to get close to the same MV from the WSM as with the 7 Rem mag with less powder and not have to worry witht he belt on the rem case

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.