1st Bull. 602 yards with 180 eldm

Would love to know more about getting the llamas. My daughter is infatuated with llamas and wants to hunt too - so figuring I can have her lead the llamas and I do the rest of the hard work. She'd LOVE it....

Google Randy Newberg and llamas. Also search here for llamas.

I used a guy an hour from Craig CO.

Before this trip, I have never seen one in person.

Boer's were used extensively for it in Africa for centuries. The straight bred Boer is a big stout animal almost the size of a small donkey.

They look funny pulling carts.
I guy close by that I have bought hogs from has goats and he is training them for packing and pulling carts. I don't know what kind of goats he has.

Not much left of that bullet for such a long shot. Wondering what would happen if you jumped one up at 50 yards? Wait for him to run away or take your chances.
The weakness of all long range bullets is so often exposed under 200 yards. I have found Barnes 140 tsx have only 1/2" lower point of impact from my 170 Berger eol in my 270 WSM. I carry my magazine with the TSX's so if something jumps up close I'm ready to break shoulders but can switch over to the Berger's for the longer range shots over 400 yards. As a guy usually has set up time for long shots this system works perfectly for me.

I guy close by that I have bought hogs from has goats and he is training them for packing and pulling carts. I don't know what kind of goats he has.
Young Boer nannies in traces.

The Boer/Spanish Hybrids are long legged and stout so I'm not surprised to see more and more of them being worked.

I have a neighbor with about 160 of them, all Boer crosses, nice animals, very trainable, not so smart as to be a big problem.

Last edited:
It was cold enough at night to hang but the days were warm. Unfortunately I killed around 8 in the morning. I went back to camp, saddled up llamas and retrievrd the bull with friends. I immediately headed out to the processor. Made it there by 5PM.
I thought you said it was a solo hunt? What's with the friends?

I thought you said it was a solo hunt? What's with the friends?

I said DIY. Means no guide or outfitter. Never said solo, if I did it was in error. 2nd elk hunt. I live in Texas and meet friends that drive from SC every other year.

I did build the 28 nosler Solo though. It was a solo bull. And I did drive there solo. The bull dropped with a solo shot. The mule deer was taken by a solo shot at 281 yards. The was from a 6.5 creedmoore that was solo built by me as well. If belongs to my daughter. She is my solo child. I'm a solo kid too.

Stuck in traffic humor.

I said DIY. Means no guide or outfitter. Never said solo, if I did it was in error. 2nd elk hunt. I live in Texas and meet friends that drive from SC every other year.

I did build the 28 nosler Solo though. It was a solo bull. And I did drive there solo. The bull dropped with a solo shot. The mule deer was taken by a solo shot at 281 yards. The was from a 6.5 creedmoore that was solo built by me as well. If belongs to my daughter. She is my solo child. I'm a solo kid too.

Stuck in traffic humor.
Job well done, you must feel pretty good.

Would never use a Match Bullet on elk. Something bonded or a monolith for me. Friend used Ballistic Tips in his 338-378 Wby. Worked great at 780 yards. Not so good at >100 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.