1st AR10, need some input

gjk5

I just bought a DPMS LR308B, pretty basic model, 18" bull, flattop, crappy standard trigger.

First two things are scope and trigger.

Suggestions on trigger would be appreciated.

Scope will probably be a Vortex since I have had great experience with them and can get them very cheap. Either a Viper 6.5-20X or a PST 4-16X. (May take the 6.5-20 off my RRA Varminter and use that and go down a little in magnification on that one, 20X may be a bit much for .223)

Any thoughts are appreciated.

May not be the best out there but I put a rock river two stage on my dpms 308 and I like it. I cant remember the pull weights off hand.

Does that mean that only Colt can make an AR-15?

No it does not. However it is important to know the difference in the larger pattern rifles. There is no standardization with them like we seen in the 5.56 parents on the market.

Colt did not make the first AR, Aramilite did that's why its called and AR (Aramilite Rifle).

Exactly. AR-10 is common nomenclature for a .308 AR. That's about as mature or useful as popping in a thread to correct someone on "mag vs clip".

I agree with you it is a common nomenclature of the uninformed. You cannot just mix and match parts with these variants they for the most part are not comparable or compatible. Some are but for the most part they have there own specs and tech.

Like saying 5.56 and 223 chambers are the same.

I agree with you it is a common nomenclature of the uninformed. You cannot just mix and match parts with these variants they for the most part are not comparable or compatible. Some are but for the most part they have there own specs and tech.

Like saying 5.56 and 223 chambers are the same.

Not at all comparable. I wonder why the sub-forum is called AR15/10? Do you think it is because LRH inteded for us to just discuss Armalite's in here?

In response to the earlier question about only Colt making an AR-15, and only Armalite making an AR-10, the answer is yes. Both are trademarked names, and both will vigorously defend their rights to that trademark. Can other companies make rifles that are completely compatible with these guns, yes, but they have to call them something else. Rock River, DPMS, Daniel Defense or anyone else making an AR pattern rifle and actually calling/marking it an AR-15 will be getting a call from Colt's attorneys in short order. Ditto for anyone building an AR-10 pattern rifle and actually calling it an AR-10. Trademark and patent issue, nothing at all to do with what shooters use among themselves.

I don't feel this "Any thoughts are appreciated"
Not at all comparable. I wonder why the sub-forum is called AR15/10? Do you think it is because LRH inteded for us to just discuss Armalite's in here?

Because they don't know any better plain and simple. ARs in calibers based of the 308 case are for the most part incompatible. I say for the most part because yes in some case an upper from a DPMS may fit on a lower from Armalite or a mag from an RRA rifle may fit in the lower or a knights armaments but that is far from the norm. That's why they are called ar pattern rifles until adopted by the military then they are give an nomenclature like XM110 until they are adopted and then the xm is changed to just M and you have a standard for a system of interchangeable parts.

I only brought this point up in the beginning so that the OP was aware of it. If he or anyone else for that matter was under the impression that the larger ar pattern rifles shared the same modularity as their little cousins. In an effort to make him aware so that he does not go out and by parts for an AR10 that may in all likely hood not even fit on his weapon. It just pays to be informed no matter how much you want to debate the use of a term because everyone calls it that. I don't call it that and neither do any of my friends.

Have just gone through all this, building my first (Armalite) AR-10. Nothing at all like the AR-15 pattern guns where most everything is interchangeable, and those that don't are the exception rather than the rule. In the big AR field, waaay more questions to ask/answer before you start buying parts. Armalite vs DPMS pattern barrels; not interchangeable. These magazines don't work with that receiver, this bolt won't owrk with that one, and on and on. Whole different world when dealing with the big guns, and a real pain in the *** for someone doing a first time build.

Mine's done now (or will be, as soon as I open the gas port up a bit next week) and will be given a whirl in the next Mid range or Long range match I can make it to. Looking forward to it.

I don't feel this "Any thoughts are appreciated"

Because they don't know any better plain and simple. ARs in calibers based of the 308 case are for the most part incompatible. I say for the most part because yes in some case an upper from a DPMS may fit on a lower from Armalite or a mag from an RRA rifle may fit in the lower or a knights armaments but that is far from the norm. That's why they are called ar pattern rifles until adopted by the military then they are give an nomenclature like XM110 until they are adopted and then the xm is changed to just M and you have a standard for a system of interchangeable parts.

I only brought this point up in the beginning so that the OP was aware of it. If he or anyone else for that matter was under the impression that the larger ar pattern rifles shared the same modularity as their little cousins. In an effort to make him aware so that he does not go out and by parts for an AR10 that may in all likely hood not even fit on his weapon. It just pays to be informed no matter how much you want to debate the use of a term because everyone calls it that. I don't call it that and neither do any of my friends.

I am the OP. In the relatively short time I have been on this forum I have learned a few things. One of them is that you are an opinionated know it all. I have certainly not read every thread you have posted in, but the ones I have read, you were an abrasive condescending jerk.

I am aware of the parts compatibility issues, I also identified the exact rifle I bought in my OP and asked for suggestions on a trigger.

It appears you enjoy picking fly crap out of pepper. Enjoy that.

I am the OP. In the relatively short time I have been on this forum I have learned a few things. One of them is that you are an opinionated know it all. I have certainly not read every thread you have posted in, but the ones I have read, you were an abrasive condescending jerk.

I am aware of the parts compatibility issues, I also identified the exact rifle I bought in my OP and asked for suggestions on a trigger.

It appears you enjoy picking fly crap out of pepper. Enjoy that.

LOL the joy of the internet, I hope you find a good trigger for you "ar10" buddy glad I could help.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.