1st Annual Texas Long Range Challenge

115vld

Gentlemen I am holding me a shooting contest. It is a private function first and foremost just so I dont get any hopes up for you fellas. Sorry. Maybe it will be a public function in the future depending on how it goes.

Here is the email I have sent out to all of the guys who will be in it... (Names have been deleted because of a few of the competitors are celebrities in their own right)

Well guys as all of you know I have talked to each of you on the phone about this shooting challenge. Most of us go to the range and shoot out of the most comfortable position we can get in and are also shooting at fixed position targets at known distances.

Well since all of us are long range shooters and hunters, this just does not cut it in the real world. This competition will challenge everyone by putting time constraints, multiple target aquisitions, and shooting out of realistic field positions. There will be a few shots that will push the furthest limits of both you and your shooting systems. This will also teach each of us to know our limits so we dont make shots on game animals that can wound or mame them. All animals we kill deserve the most respect we can give them and thats a shot we know exactly where our rifles will hit.

This will serve as a teaching lesson to everyone but will also be very fun at the same time. Safety is the biggest thing. We will always have bolts out of weapons unless you are the one shooting. There will be no distracting of other shooters during firing. You will be able to learn wind reading better and what it really does to your bullet. This needs to be as realistic as possible so we can learn and apply to real world hunting situations.

There will be a $50 entry fee for every contesant. As of now that will make the pot $350 winner takes all. If you dont want to compete for the money and just want to go along and shoot just to shoot, you will still put in $25 into the pot.

So far the competitors are:

There are one or two other guys who may show up but are doughtfull.

You will need:
-Your own supplied rifle
-Range finder(can borrow if you have to for the longer shots)
-26 rounds for the actual competition and probably 15 more just in case there is a bonus competition!!! Just bring 40 minimum in case
-Binos would be a smart idea

Optional things that would be smart to bring
-Bipods and bean bag for support
-Sunscreen
-Water
-Food or snack
-Camera or video camera

Email me back if i might be missing anything. As of now it will be held after B wins the Arnold classic in early March. THat will also give everyone time to put the competition on the callender.

I highly suggest you start practicing now to get ready!

Chase Stroud

I will post pictures, a full right up of the shoot and attempt to post videos of some LONG shots. The contest will be between 300-2000 yards. We will have steel targets to shoot at for all the different stages and points will be given by hits. Also we will have a long shot of the day contest that will have a $100 dollar reward. I am suspecting it will be 2000 plus as 4 of us in the contest have all made 2000 yard plus shots before.

Calibers that guys will be competing with so far are:

240 Wby
257 Wby
7WSM
7Rem Mag
300 Win Mag
300 Wby
30 Hart (300 wby improved)
338 Lapua

As far as I know all but one shoot hand loads with Bergers and everyone is supersonic to at least 1600. It should be a lot of fun. If there is anything anyone thinks I should add please let me know.

Thanks,

CHase

You should add another match....for forum members instead of just teasing us with opportunities to shoot 3000 yards:)

Man I was just reading through all the longest big game shots thread and saw that you had like a 1202 guinea hen....that one impressed me more than any other I saw. I shot one of those at 220 yards with a 22LR once. One of those open sights hey watch this things. I do not think I ever received a worse beating. Ever since I have a secret spite for those ugly little chickens.

Eddybo, I shot that jackel and guinea within 10 minutes of each other. They were at a water hole and I was up on a mountain watching a huge valley hunting baboons. That guinea turned to a puff of feathers for sure when that Berger turned him inside out!

Hmm Montana vs Texas...sounds good to me! Guess well meat in southern Wyoming for the finals!!

I'd sure like to attend, just to meet other LR shooters and watch the festivities. I'm over in Pasadena. Where is the shoot going to be held?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.