1K Benchrest Shoot; Williamsport

liltank

Well it was my first time ever attending a rifle match of any type. I was able to finally attend the original home of the 1K bench rest competition. The weather was lousy. There were shifting winds, rain and drizzle throughout the morning, and an occasional light fog causing some distortion. Yet it still went on. The most amazing thing is the amount of information that guys were willing to give even in the heat of competition. The men and women not competing would just answer any question I was able to think of and ask. One guy who I assume was a gun store owner brought out a brand new Sightron SIII 10-50x60 with target dot and let me look through it.

It was amazing clarity. Even in those conditions I was able to look at the numbers and targets with remarkable clarity and no fogging of any type. The ability of the side focus to clear up the target was mesmerizing. I am soooo wanting one now. I am going to have to save like nobodies business to get one.

Oh about the scores. One guy shot a 4.860" with 5x's and 5-10's for an aggregate of 100pts total. Another guy in the same relay shot 4.761" winning for tightest group of the day. He also placed second with an aggregate score of 98 with 3x's. What a mix of calibers. There were 6 Dashers (several), 300 Weatherby was another favorite in both regular and ackley of some type. Several 300 WSM's and a plethora of others using 6.5's. The plain Jane 300 Win Mag also had a strong showing. It was amazing the amount of money and time these guys put in their rifles. Today was the Heavy Gun (any weight rifle, but no rail guns allowed) class and yesterday was the Light gun (up to 17lbs.).

Your allowed to shoot 2 or 3 times as a guest and $20. After that you have to be a member which is $50 a year and $20 to shoot competitively. The fee allows you to use the range all year round. I'm thinking this might be a good idea and allow some bench time at 1K. They also have a 600yrd bank too. I'm sooo psyched right now. I think I may give it a whirl with the worst of expectations. You only need 20rnds for a relay. You have 5 mins. to shoot your sighters and somewhere in the 5 min. range to shoot for score. They score the tightest group as winner first, then aggregate with most X's. Sounds doable, but I will have to shoot light gun.
wink.gif
That will put the old Savage to the test and and 18x Nikon.
tongue.gif
I can see this to become another challenge causing more potential havoc in my marriage!:D

Tank

Last edited:
Havoc in your marriage is only half of it...the other half's the $s. Go for it, sounds like the bug's bitten you good. Best of luck, have fun and keep us posted.

Havoc in your marriage is only half of it...the other half's the $s. Go for it, sounds like the bug's bitten you good. Best of luck, have fun and keep us posted.

Will do, may be a little bit until I get around to it. Hopefully not to long if I get my way!!:rolleyes:

Tank

I used to read about those matches when I was growing up living in Ohio.
That is why I built my 7mm 300 Wby back in 1972. In 1970 Mary Louise DeVito of Williamsport, Pa. set a new 1000yrd record with a 7mm 300 Wby with a group of 7 11/16 ths.
I never got to go to any of those matches though.
I'm jealous

Tarey

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.