199g Shock hammer bullets subsonic

1627998854654.jpeg

Maker Bullet out of my 300 BLK bolt gun, around 950 fps.

If the cutting edge do not work for you, you may also consider the Lehigh maximum expansion. They open exceptionally well and reliable. I have tried those and the Maker bullets. The Lehigh grouped much better than the Makers for me in a 7 twist bolt action blackout.

Lehigh defense 194 maximum expansion, look no further. Designed to be a subsonic hunting bullet, dont try and use something that is not! Devastating on deer and full penetration, only ever recovered one so far on deer. I have the hornady 190 subx as well but have only done testing on small critters, but also successful.

Left: 194 Lehigh @ 950, right: 200 Maker @950, center: 110 Barnes TAC-TX @ 2375 for comparison. These were all fired into rows of water filled milk jugs so not relevant to flesh, but it's all I had available at the time. It appears that the LeHigh tumbled which bent back two of the petals. The thicker Maker petals do seem more resistant to this. I have taken one mid size doe with the Maker bullet last fall and was surprised at how quickly she went down.
1628006270492.jpeg

I like the looks of that Maker bullet. Wonder how it would do as an HD round as far as over penetration?

If I recall correctly, it penetrated through several of the jugs and I had to dig it out of woodpile. So I would use a projectile designed for minimal penetration for this purpose.

Left: 194 Lehigh @ 950, right: 200 Maker @950, center: 110 Barnes TAC-TX @ 2375 for comparison. These were all fired into rows of water filled milk jugs so not relevant to flesh, but it's all I had available at the time. It appears that the LeHigh tumbled which bent back two of the petals. The thicker Maker petals do seem more resistant to this. I have taken one mid size doe with the Maker bullet last fall and was surprised at how quickly she went down.
The Lehigh looks like it'd require a faster twist to stabilize. Chance that's why it tumbled?

If I recall correctly, it penetrated through several of the jugs and I had to dig it out of woodpile. So I would use a projectile designed for minimal penetration for this purpose.
Thanks for the info. I wonder if their 200gn fracturing bullet would be a better choice. Be interesting to test. I like the idea of a subsonic suppressed round indoors to minimize noise and flash. The terminal ballistics would have to be there though.

The Lehigh looks like it'd require a faster twist to stabilize. Chance that's why it tumbled?
I don't think that is the reason. My 300 BLK bolt rifle is a 1-7 and they shoot very small groups. I shot three or four of them into jugs and most of them had at least one petal bend backwards 90 degrees. I think they just began to tumble when they slammed into the water, which is not a good test for a bullet. But they might cause more damage tumbling... who knows? I really like the LeHigh bullets but I chose to hunt with the Maker and it did a fine job on the one time I used it.

Thanks for the info. I wonder if their 200gn fracturing bullet would be a better choice. Be interesting to test. I like the idea of a subsonic suppressed round indoors to minimize noise and flash. The terminal ballistics would have to be there though.
I honestly don't know. But if I wanted to stop a threat inside my house, I would grab my shotgun over any subsonic round, be it a handgun or a rifle.

The Leigh high defense 194g max expansion is what I am looking at now but can't find any in stock
These work really well in my .300 blackout subsonic. I have them loaded for home defense. I bought them after watching several videos of them taking deer out to 100yds.

I have a 308 with a 8 twist that wont stabilize them, but yet no issue in 300 blk with an 8 twist. So i would guess it just depends on the the gun...
I do like the look of the maker bullet and would try them if the lehigh were unavailable.