1986 217" SE Idaho

I saw more mature bucks this year in Unit 54 then I have in the last 15. I also saw plenty of mid size and forky's as well. The concerning part for me is I didn't see nearly as many doe. I feel fish and game has a hard time coming up with a solid strategy. They correct one issue and create another. Moose, on the other hand, are plentiful. The numbers I saw were staggering.

I saw more mature bucks this year in Unit 54 then I have in the last 15. I also saw plenty of mid size and forky's as well. The concerning part for me is I didn't see nearly as many doe. I feel fish and game has a hard time coming up with a solid strategy. They correct one issue and create another. Moose, on the other hand, are plentiful. The numbers I saw were staggering.

I hunted 55 last year and there were a decent number of bucks - but nothing super mature. I think there is a lot that hang out lower on private ground.

I grew up in rural Northern Nevada and its the same way there as other States areas. Way more people hunting; from the large areas such as Vegas, Reno, etc and many, many more of non-residents. That along with longer hunting seasons by F&G agencies IMO has greatly decreased the number of mature bucks ( and bulls for that matter) that once existed. Sadly I don't see it improving as there's just too much demand and pressure on the limited resource.

BTW, beautiful buck and thanks for sharing!

To my fellow Idahoan's and Hunter's, those are great bucks! Have yet to see a deer of that caliber in 15+ years of hunting in any of the Western States. There are many reasons why mature bucks are few and far between.

1. Poaching
2. Poaching
3. Poaching
4 Killing of Mature Bucks out of Season...AKA...POACHING

Personally, I witnessed POACHING multiple times this year and reported it to Fish & Game. Fish & Game received detailed information including pictures of the violator's and their vehicles as well as exactly what was witnessed when "OUR" wildlife was brutally slaughtered by POACHERS. Fish & Game can not be everywhere all the time and POACHER's know this. For those of us who Hunt the legal, ethical way. Our favorite past time is being annihilated by people who don't have morals & ethics. If you are one of these A-Holes, shame on YOU.

As a Hunter & Conservationist, I'm sick and tired of Poacher's ruining the HUNT. POACHING is rampant and it is our duty to assist Fish & Game in bringing POACHERS to justice.

Call me a snitch, call me whatever you so chose but you will never catch me breaking the laws of hunting/conservation so I can post a picture on Facebook/Instagram/Snapchat to impress a bunch of my so-called "friends!"

Happy Veterans Day to those who sacrificed their time and energy for the greater good of "OUR" Freedom!!!

Part of the problem is that we as hunters are taking the bigger bucks and leaving the not so good ones to pass on the not so good genes . We un intentionally are doing selective breeding programs that way . We did it with livestock intentionally and breed smarter coyote un intentionally by killing the dumb ones and letting the smart ones breed to smart ones . We bread dumb sheep by getting rid of the smart ones that caused trouble and kept the dumb ones that just wondered around eating grass . Just something to think about .

Holy crap what a buck, safari club international (SCI) scoring is similar to boone&Crockett total gross no deductions, B&C will have some reductions looks like the spread could hurt you a little on final score, sure looks like 217 to me, thanks for sharing

Part of the problem is that we as hunters are taking the bigger bucks and leaving the not so good ones to pass on the not so good genes . We un intentionally are doing selective breeding programs that way . We did it with livestock intentionally and breed smarter coyote un intentionally by killing the dumb ones and letting the smart ones breed to smart ones . We bread dumb sheep by getting rid of the smart ones that caused trouble and kept the dumb ones that just wondered around eating grass . Just something to think about .

What?? Those big bucks have already passed on their genes...are you saying we should shoot the small ones and let big ones live?

Never seen a muley of that size on public land and I have hunted Oregon, Wa., Idaho, Montana, Wyo for 40 years. I have seen many nice mature bucks but not one like this. I would remember it if I did. Just being honest with you, we have way too many hunters today to grow this class of deer on public land imho. Plus you need the genetics and habitat. That is truly a monster no matter how he scores out!

Not at all just saying something to think about is that we un- intentionally do a certain amount of selective breeding . I know some good ranchers that do have good breading programs for their live stock and carry it over to the wild life on their ranch also by only allowing a certain number of large animals to be harvested each year and will not allow some specific animals to be harvested so that their genes continue to be passed on . When we hunt as well as others we don't know what animals have been harvested by others and like them we want to take a trophy and there are only so many trophy animals to go around and still spread the genes there are a lot more lesser then trophy animals out there that pass on their genes both male and female . I have watched pronghorn herds that had odd shaped horns passed on for several generations because nobody wanted to harvest them . I have also watched several generations of good mule deer that only had one or two trophy bucks in the area for years and only a few of the up coming generation would inherit the trophy genes .

207 or 217 he is a Hella of a buck! I would have him scored B&C just to know. We have bucks of that caliber here in AZ but the tags are harder to get that the deer! LOL!

Congrats on a fine pick up.

Thanks guys, my dad is super proud of this buck. He still thinks he might've seen this buck in 86 but said the buck he seen, declined tremendously. Said it had the same kicker but not as tall nor wide.

Here's a side view I found on my phome
Screenshot_20191111-095144~2.png

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.