1968 Rem 7mm mag

surjimmy

Just picked up a 1968 Rem 700, 7 mag in about 98% plus condition. Was wondering what your take is on this gun. I have never had Remington before, was wondering value and quality.

surjimmy,
Hard to say or give the value without actually seeing it. If it is in deed at 98% then it should not have many rounds through it and the actions alone are going to approx. $400.00. Should make a fine deer/bear rifle for up to 500yds. The Remingtons made back in the late 60's should be just fine. The quality, IMO, was a little better then than now. JohnnyK.

You have a very nice rifle and I expect it will be extremely accurate, same rifle I used while growing up in Idaho. Many mulie and whitetail bucks fell to that rifle. I bought another one when Remington brought it out in the 'Classic' and it also was a great rifle, had it fitted with a McMillan stock. I used it up here and killed several moose and caribou with it. I have two boys and when they turned twelve, they had their choice of a new rifle or one from my collection. The youngest chose the 7 mag so I no longer have it. He is now 27 and it's his 'go to' gun. He shot at the range with me on Friday and it still shoots a one hole group at 100 yards. He will be taking it to Idaho in November when he and I go down to hunt whitetail.

I think you probably have a keeper there.

Just picked up a 1968 Rem 700, 7 mag in about 98% plus condition. Was wondering what your take is on this gun. I have never had Remington before, was wondering value and quality.

It could have a Hart barrel on it (Look around the proof marks and if it has a hart shaped
stamping/Cartouche then it will be a very good rifle and worth more than most new ones).

$600.00 + would be the value if so marked and in really good shape.

It also could have a very good, fully adjustable trigger.

J E CUSTOM

It does have what appears to be a upside down heart on the barrel. When I have time I will give you a range report with pics of the rifle.

i have an 7mm mag adl from that time. i adjusted the trigger and regularly get 3/4 inch groups with it

It does have what appears to be a upside down heart on the barrel. When I have time I will give you a range report with pics of the rifle.

Thats the one !!!

You were lucky to find one. and with bedding and good loads you will have a shooter.

J E CUSTOM

I'v got a older Remington M700 ADL and it has a heart on the barrel with some triger work and has been glass bedded. It flat out shoots anything you put down the barrel. Thats good to know

You bought a very fine rifle. I purchased my first new rifle in February 1968 when I got out of the military. It was a Remington 7mm Mag 700 BDL. I shot everything from fox to elk and moose with that gun. It would shoot under an inch @ 100 yards. The gun was stolen in 1979. I still own a Rem 7mm Mag, but I sure miss my original one.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts