1968 Rem. 700

A.Rios.72

Two questions... Does a 1968 700 (7MM Mag), have any value? By value, I don't mean as far as selling it, I mean keeping it original. I was given this rifle by a cousin, several years ago, because he had no interest in the caliber/recoil. It's not in great shape. Stock is kind of beat up, and the bluing is coming off the barrel and action in places. I've never fired it, so don't know about it's accuracy.
Is one of these older actions a good starting point for new build? After truing, etc... (stainless, I believe).
The reason I ask is I have a newer Rem. 700 in 7MM, and I don't need two identical/same caliber rifles.
Figured I could use it to build a rifle in one of the "new" calibers.

I had a Rem 700 in 7mm Mag that was made in 1965. I bought it used in about 1975. It was somewhat beat up when I bought it and I added to the damage over the years. Several years ago I had the action trued and a new barrel installed to turn it into a 300 Win Mag. Dropped it into a HS Precision stock and it's been a nice shooter.

I doubt you could get much for the rifle as is. So go ahead and build on it if you want.

My brother in law bought a 1963 700 in 7mm mag. He hunted with it once and it sat in his closet for 40 years. He cleaned it, shot 10 rounds and put it away again till 2011. We cleaned it, got a trigger, scope, mounts, bedded it and worked up a load. Shot .670 at 200 with the first load we tried. So, go out and shoot a few different loads through it and see what it does. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.