1949 pre-64 Winchester model 70 270 value?

Joe270, we were just talking waiting for you to post more pictures. Did you buy the rifle? Help our curiosity by posting more pictures. Thanks.

Words of encouragement needed. I haven't went back with the cash yet…..I'm picking up my new 22 at the same shop next week and the model 70 will probably be coming home with me too…
Can a man have too many rifles?

It's in decent shape. Any idea what it's worth? I can probably get it for around 1000$. No open sights sporter contour barrel. View attachment 332367
In good shape Pre 64's will generally bring 1,200-2,400 on Gun Broker. The .264 and .270 seem to be the two that generally bring the higher prices if they are all original and in better than average shape.

It appears the action was re-blued and bolt Jeweled. Honestly I'll never sell it my dad wants to hunt with it at 72 and after that she can retire in the safe next to my featherweight 280😍

It appears the action was re-blued and bolt Jeweled. Honestly I'll never sell it my dad wants to hunt with it at 72 and after that she can retire in the safe next to my featherweight 280😍
If dad wants to hunt with it its priceless, what are you waiting for?

Plan on picking up this rifle. What scope would be period correct? I think a high gloss Leupold would look good on it? I'm not sure what was available back then but also don't want to spend a fortune on a scope
You can look here:
They also sell refurbished scopes to which they have added "today's glass", meaning glass that performs like the newly developed scopes.

I carry a LED 1battery Nova lite in my pocket. When lookin at/buyin used rifles, shining that LED on the blued surface will show any defects in the bluing that comes from re-finishing.

I never liked the idea of retiring a rifle into a safe queen and I shoot every one of my rifles each year. I practice with a hunting rifles almost every week and it really makes a difference. You have two really good rifles in those Winchester 70's and they deserve to be used. I also have a featherweight 280 and I really like that cartridge. It's a pre 64 Model 70 with a Winchester Classic Featherweight barrel. Great combination. With a 140 grain Nosler Partition and 54 grains of IMR 4831 it makes a great deer and hog rifle. Easy to hit with and very effective.

Plan on picking up this rifle. What scope would be period correct? I think a high gloss Leupold would look good on it? I'm not sure what was available back then but also don't want to spend a fortune on a scope
Joe270, I'm not making a big pitch to sell you a scope but I do have a high quality 4 power Leupold scope that I used on a pre 64 Model 70 rifle and will fit right into those Leupold STD mounts that you have on your rifle. It is a Leupold M8 fixed 4 power scope with a 28 mm objective lense. These scopes are 200 yard hunting scopes and they are accurate and easy to use. The scope will be shipped in it's original box for a total cost of $120. I will take PayPal family & friends or a personal check. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Attachments

• IMG_4672.JPG
    IMG_4672.JPG
    721.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4673.JPG
    IMG_4673.JPG
    696.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4674.JPG
    IMG_4674.JPG
    727.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4675.JPG
    IMG_4675.JPG