1949 pre-64 Winchester model 70 270 value?

If you can put on more pictures I can help with the value. From that one picture I can tell the receiver has been re-blued which would reduce the value some. If the barrel has no sights and the rear sight bulge is missing the barrel has been replaced. With just what I can see the rifle would probably sell for about $900. When it comes to a pre 64 Model 70 it's all about the condition of the metal.
Curious how you can tell from that photo the receiver has been reblued?

Regarding scope, matte black look fine IMO if you are okay with it. There are more options today in matte than gloss.

If you want the nostalgia, I agree on gloss Leupold or keep an eye open for old Redfield scopes.

Curious how you can tell from that photo the receiver has been reblued?
I've been around pre 64 Winchester rifles for many years, worked on them and tweaked them and noticed everything about individual parts. The original receivers were hardened in a hot salt bath that created a hard durable finish that does not have the characteristics of a blue finish like other companies especially Remington. The original receiver finish has sort of a dull blue gray look that is very durable to rust and corrosion and when it is wiped with an oily rag it doesn't show rust on the rag as much as what you see from a blued finish. Receivers that are 70 years old still look good. Gunsmiths who are re-bluing the barrels and bottom metal have a tendency to polish and re-blue the receiver which would not be needed. I could tell by the polish, color and the shine from the receiver that it looked to have been re-blued. I personally do not like a receiver that has been re-blued because it takes away some of the personality of a pre 64 Winchester rifle. I have several of the rifles and all have receivers in original condition.

Being reblued, its hard to say. Six months ago, I bought a 30/06 model 70 also made in 1951 that had been rebored to 338/06, nice shape but refinished. It has a Bushnell 3200 3-10 elite scope on it. I paid $600. Not apples to apples but being refinished I would rather have my 338/06 than that 270. That was off a table at a gun show and it had been there all weekend at $700 until my offer at the end of the show.

I've been around pre 64 Winchester rifles for many years, worked on them and tweaked them and noticed everything about individual parts. The original receivers were hardened in a hot salt bath that created a hard durable finish that does not have the characteristics of a blue finish like other companies especially Remington. The original receiver finish has sort of a dull blue gray look that is very durable to rust and corrosion and when it is wiped with an oily rag it doesn't show rust on the rag as much as what you see from a blued finish. Receivers that are 70 years old still look good. Gunsmiths who are re-bluing the barrels and bottom metal have a tendency to polish and re-blue the receiver which would not be needed. I could tell by the polish, color and the shine from the receiver that it looked to have been re-blued. I personally do not like a receiver that has been re-blued because it takes away some of the personality of a pre 64 Winchester rifle. I have several of the rifles and all have receivers in original condition.

The receiver is shiny which would be re-blued the bolt is also jeweled and the crf lever is not black anymore. Original barrel and wood is in great shape.

Being reblued, its hard to say. Six months ago, I bought a 30/06 model 70 also made in 1951 that had been rebored to 338/06, nice shape but refinished. It has a Bushnell 3200 3-10 elite scope on it. I paid $600. Not apples to apples but being refinished I would rather have my 338/06 than that 270. That was off a table at a gun show and it had been there all weekend at $700 until my offer at the end of the show.
Deals that good don't come around very often. To have Jess at JES rebore that barrel would have cost a minimum of $250 not to mention the gunsmith fee for removing and installing the barrel, and a 1951 rifle with steel bottom metal would normally be expensive. To have a rebored barrel is like having a new barrel already stress relieved. I have two 338-06 rebore rifles and they are great.

Deals that good don't come around very often. To have Jess at JES rebore that barrel would have cost a minimum of $250 not to mention the gunsmith fee for removing and installing the barrel, and a 1951 rifle with steel bottom metal would normally be expensive. To have a rebored barrel is like having a new barrel already stress relieved. I have two 338-06 rebore rifles and they are great.
I had been manning a table by myself all weekend and Sunday afternoon was really slow so had time to wander around. Once I saw it, I didn't leave his table until it was in my hands. It shoots good. I did replace the Winchester wood stock with a Bell & Carlson stock I had on hand. I even got a set of dies, 50 prepped and sized cases and 10 rounds of loaded ammo.

I had been manning a table by myself all weekend and Sunday afternoon was really slow so had time to wander around. Once I saw it, I didn't leave his table until it was in my hands. It shoots good. I did replace the Winchester wood stock with a Bell & Carlson stock I had on hand. I even got a set of dies, 50 prepped and sized cases and 10 rounds of loaded ammo.
I use my rifles for whitetail, mule deer and hogs and what works good for me is the 180 grain AccuBond with 55 grains of Reloader 15. Other good loads are 55 grains of Viht N 150 or 58 grains of Reloader 17. Timney also makes a good trigger. Enjoy the rifle, it will be fun to use.

I use my rifles for whitetail, mule deer and hogs and what works good for me is the 180 grain AccuBond with 55 grains of Reloader 15. Other good loads are 55 grains of Viht N 150 or 58 grains of Reloader 17. Timney also makes a good trigger. Enjoy the rifle, it will be fun to use.
So far, I've only had played with one bullet, a 186 grain shock hammer , powder wise I've used up to 67 grains of W760, with both mag and standard powder, also tried up to 60 grains of imr4064 and up to 65 grains of h380. 67 grains of W760 seems mild with a standard primer, starts to flatten the primers with a magnum primer. 4064 seems a little fast for this load. I've had pretty good luck adjusting model 70 triggers. This one breaks at 3 lbs, so I haven't touch it yet. I hunted elk this year with this rifle but saw no bulls. I did kill an old blacktail with it this year and he didn't take a step after I fired. I will likely try to find some of the 180 grain accubonds and try the powders to mentioned.

My first was a Winchester pre model 70 in 243 Win with these # 1451xx went to get a 22 and the dealer talked me into this one- best move I ever made, still have it .. and that was back in the 60's instead of a nylon 66. or a marlin lever in 22. Don't use her any longer ( one of my gold pieces )