1949 pre-64 Winchester model 70 270 value?

Joe270

It's in decent shape. Any idea what it's worth? I can probably get it for around 1000$. No open sights sporter contour barrel.
1F0B242C-B886-4A00-8213-8D9E1F00338D.jpeg

Last edited:
What caliber? Also, do you have additional pictures on the condition?

I would suggest google on "pre-64 -caliber- for sale". see why pops up. There are big spreads on these and a lot of factors, mostly condition. There are a few variations in some model years that can make them more or less valuable and there are certain barrel markings you can look for to aid in your search to distinguish between one vs another of the same caliber.

I recently went down the pre-64 rabbit hole. I learned a few things and got a general range where I think my rifle sits. I am not selling it, so was happy to just get an idea.

the "Winchester" brand stamp has variations based on years and run of a particular rifle and can help identify what exactly you have aside from the serial number also.

Check out winchestercollector.org and their forum pages. Lots of good reading for learning about the rifles.

It's In good condition. No wear on bluing or major dings in the stock. Definitely used but bore is in good shape. No open sights and never drilled to have them.

OK, i need to use my glasses when reading. The date book i have says 1951 serial number started at 173151 and 1952 started with 206626. The records of these older pieces were at times poorly recorded or kept. Condition will be a large factor.

Got it. lots of info out there I could have been looking at the wrong data. Price range poor-excellent? I don't need the rifle but wouldn't hurt to have in the safe

I would guess on the order of $1000-$1400.

That range needs some kind of disclaimer, but I am not that clever :)

If you can put on more pictures I can help with the value. From that one picture I can tell the receiver has been re-blued which would reduce the value some. If the barrel has no sights and the rear sight bulge is missing the barrel has been replaced. With just what I can see the rifle would probably sell for about $900. When it comes to a pre 64 Model 70 it's all about the condition of the metal.

The rear sight bulge is still there just has a metal plug that looks factory. Original barrel and stock, jeweled bolt. I'll try to get more pictures

Plan on picking up this rifle. What scope would be period correct? I think a high gloss Leupold would look good on it? I'm not sure what was available back then but also don't want to spend a fortune on a scope