Colt45_13

Morning LRH Members,

I'm looking for some help on this one. I am trying to order a stock and barrel for my Dad's Enfield make-over, but I am kind of stuck on go. The only company I am aware of that makes replacement stocks for Enfields is Boyd, so first I reached out to Boyd to confirm max/min barrel dimensions for their stocks. Boyd proceeded to ask the following,

* Is is a P14 or P17 (I assume P17 based on the serial number/model number stamp, but I'm not sure whether or not that's the gospel)
* If P17, is it a flat floor plate? (I have no idea what the correct answer is to this one. On my gun, the actual floor plate is flat, however it curves upward to the action screw... this leaves me confused.)

Can anyone out there help me identify exactly what I have so I can move forward with the build for my Dad? I would really appreciate any and all help LRH members. I have been stuck on go for over a year now and I really want to get this project progressing so my Dad can enjoy the rifle.

Thanks in Advance Everyone!
Colton

God bless America, God bless those who protect Her!

Attachments

• IMG_2790.jpg
    IMG_2790.jpg
    697.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2791.jpg
    IMG_2791.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2792.jpg
    IMG_2792.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2793.jpg
    IMG_2793.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2794.jpg
    IMG_2794.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2795.jpg
    IMG_2795.jpg
    791.6 KB · Views: 80
You have a US Model of 1917, originally a .30/06 made to supplement the 1903 Springfield during WW1. The bottom metal has not been straightened and is NOT considered "flat". Criterion barrels may be the only supplier of a short chambered barrel. Douglas barrels could install a new barrel, also, with a good turnaround time, but it will be 'in the white' with no finish (bluing).

You have a US Model of 1917, originally a .30/06 made to supplement the 1903 Springfield during WW1. The bottom metal has not been straightened and is NOT considered "flat". Criterion barrels may be the only supplier of a short chambered barrel. Douglas barrels could install a new barrel, also, with a good turnaround time, but it will be 'in the white' with no finish (bluing).
Thank you very much for the thoughts. Are you 100% sure? If so, then this should be my stock selection, correct?

Attachments

• IMG_2799.jpg
    IMG_2799.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 55
The specs are correct, NO FLAT floorplate, P17 (should be M'17, but it's Boyds, what da' ya' want?). Military barrel channel? Not if you're gonna' re-barrel it! I'd choose a sporter style stock, instead of that ***, if it was mine. The P14 and P17 comes from "Enfield, Pattern 1914, which companies in the US were contracted by Great Britain to produce for their military. Technically, P17 doesn't exist, it is NOT the Pattern 17 rifle, It is US Model of 1917, or M17 for slang/short. After the US entered the "Great War", the US Gov contracted with the same companies that were building the P14 for Great Britain, to convert the design to .30/06. The P14 was .303, the British Military cartridge. The conversion of the rifle to 30/06 and the 'acceptance' of the rifle by the "War Department" called for a US Military designation, which incorporated the year the design was accepted by the Government. Hence, the Model of 1917. Yours' is desirable, as it was made by Winchester. Your Dad uses this as a hunting rifle, no doubt. So, put a sporter style stock on it made or walnut. The stock you have posted is for some competition, and heavy. The P14 and M17 are heavy enough, let alone add weight in the stock.

The specs are correct, NO FLAT floorplate, P17 (should be M'17, but it's Boyds, what da' ya' want?). Military barrel channel? Not if you're gonna' re-barrel it! I'd choose a sporter style stock, instead of that ***, if it was mine. The P14 and P17 comes from "Enfield, Pattern 1914, which companies in the US were contracted by Great Britain to produce for their military. Technically, P17 doesn't exist, it is NOT the Pattern 17 rifle, It is US Model of 1917, or M17 for slang/short. After the US entered the "Great War", the US Gov contracted with the same companies that were building the P14 for Great Britain, to convert the design to .30/06. The P14 was .303, the British Military cartridge. The conversion of the rifle to 30/06 and the 'acceptance' of the rifle by the "War Department" called for a US Military designation, which incorporated the year the design was accepted by the Government. Hence, the Model of 1917. Yours' is desirable, as it was made by Winchester. Your Dad uses this as a hunting rifle, no doubt. So, put a sporter style stock on it made or walnut. The stock you have posted is for some competition, and heavy. The P14 and M17 are heavy enough, let alone add weight in the stock.

Thank you very much. Yeah I intend to put a sporter on the action, which is what got this all started about a year ago. I asked Boyd if they could inlet their "P17" stocks for a sporter or heavy sporter, then they asked a bunch of questions I couldn't answer. Also, the stock in that picture was just an advertisement from Boyd, I'm going to get a somewhat "classic" stock. Thank you very much!

CTL