1917 Enfield - Modify or leave as is?

Joshuak12

I have a 1917 Enfield. It is one that Remington built. .30-06, of course. It is in very good condition. I have shot it some, even hunted with it a little, but don't plan to hunt with it any more. I am not up to date on gun values and am interested in hearing some thoughts on whether the rifle is best just preserved as is or if someone has some suggestions for modification.

CMP=civilian marksman program. Most matches are shot @ 200 yard or 100 yards with redused targets. you shoot standing/slow fire-sitting/rapid fire-prone/rapid and prone/slow fire. check local ranges to see if they have any matches. the best part is after you shoot a match you can order M1 garands from them. odcmp.com

There are, also, many "military bolt action rifle" matches held at local gun clubs/ranges throughout the country. Although, the model 1914/1917s were never known as 'tack drivers'. It takes some practice and a hand full of stripper clips to get the 10 shots off, accurately, in the rapid fire stages of the CMP Qualification shoots. A Winchester or Remington made 1917, in good or better condition and unaltered, has much more value than one might think.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.