1911 Kaboom! Diagnosis help? (and always wear eye pro!).

Glad you are ok.
Back in my IPSC days I had a catastrophic disintegration of a Springfield Armoury 1911. I have the case too, it blew out and elongated into the feed ramp. The primer pocket is huge and oblong and the frame, slide and barrel were all ruptured like a triple charge had been used...alas it wasn't.
I had just cleared a jam and didn't recall a bang or not, didn't check the barrel and the next shot detonated the gun.
The jam was a squib and the bullet was lodged in the barrel, the next shot...well you know how it goes. That was a custom race gun, cost me $5,000 at the time, turned to scrap. Gave my Dillon away after that and it had a lock out die for no powder, so who knows.
Looks to me that it blew out where it's not supported, definitely an overload.

Cheers.

Double charge.
Depending on the powder, very doable in a 45ACP .
See volume amounts here...
45-ACP-185gr.jpg

Many untrained home 'gunsmiths treat 1911s like a kit, just like they treat Savage rifles with a barrel nut a 'kit' or a AR15 like it is a 'kit'. Sometimes the uninformed grind on the feed ramp on the barrel of a 1911 to 'improve' feeding. By doing so, they unknowingly expose unsupported case. Add an overcharged round and there you have it! The fast burning powders used in 45ACP could be hard to see if double charged. When you put on your ear protection, put your safety glasses on, first.

Lucky for me, my range has a mandatory safety glass policy as soon as you enter the range, even spectating. I even bought the Tasco glasses the club were promoting, which they did a demonstration of shooting them at 25yrd with a 9mm. They cracked, but no hole. The foam head they were on was a different story. LOL.
Glad I wore them, face was peppered with powder and 'bits', maybe brass.

Cheers.

No squib or obstruction (all shots hit steel up to and including Kaboom!).

I'm familiar with "over pressure", but never had something of this magnitude.

Primer pocket was traumatized for sure. The fact that the primer was left sitting against the breach face, and the downward blast from the back of the case, made me wonder about out of battery. I was present for an out of battery kaboom! in an M74 (8mm AK), and that had similar results to this, with the back end of the case blasted out and down.

I see your point, but you can step off your horse...

Over the course of 30 years, I have fired ~10,000 rounds of ammo in various calibers, without issues, from this same fellow. He's a bit of a nutter, but also has a gun store, reloads semi-commercially, and was for a long time the most expert person I knew regarding firearms. I now know a lot more than I did, but it's not like I found an open soda in an airport bathroom and drank it. This was just various ammo in bags and boxes, accumulated over the years, that I compiled to "get rid of" by plinking...
I've seen this in a 45, years ago when I shot IPSC. The person that had it happen to realized he did a double charge of powder, later when he pulled some rounds.

Moral of the story...
DON'T BE CHEAP AND CHOOSE A LOW POWDER VOLUME LOAD.
Instead, if possible, choose a safe load that will spill powder out of the top of the case with a double charge.

Not much more stupid than a cheapskate with his blown up gun.

Moral of the story...
Instead, if possible, choose a safe load that will spill powder out of the top of the case with a double charge.

I'm thinking RL33 since Retumbo is so hard to find these days...

Moral of the story...

You ever loaded for a 45Auto?
They take less than 9gr of powder, and that's with a bulky powder.
Most loads are 5-6gr max.
Very easy to double and even triple charge a case with certain powders.

Cheers.

Off my horse?
If you will reread his post, he is not sure who loaded it. Allegedly it came from his suspect Mom's Cousin(later referred to as a nutbag by OP), allegedly. Not to mention OP referred to the ammo as a mixed bag of trash and his Cousin, a "nutbag".
2. The "expert person" that you refer that you have shot 10,000 rounds does not sound like an apples to apples comparison. I load for a couple friends, have for years. Again, he wasn't sure who loaded it, much less a "nutbag".
You also refer to drinking a soda from a bathroom which I suspect is sarcasm and poor sarcasm in a situation that could of seriously harmed OP. What if he found the ammo in an airport bathroom? Ok to shoot? What's the difference? He still found ammo of unknown origin and fired it.
You're ok with this.
So please go on about the horse I'm on.
Stay on the horse Brother, If he's shot that many rounds and he doesn't know any better than that, He's lucky is all I'm gonna say

Good thing you were wearing eye pro.... its one thing that I never skip.

A lot of people skip it with long rifles, especially 22... but bad/unexpected things happen.

I've drilled it in to my son... eyes and ears go on before we even get out of the truck.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.