1911 barrel bushing

sigsupermatch

Does anyone know of a custom 1911 parts place that will build me a barrel bushing that will encircle the barrel and recoil spring plug completely and have a outside profile that matches the slide? EGW has a melt bushing that is close but, neither they or Wilson combat will make the one described above. Any help, please.

Appearance. What issues? Would a two piece guide rod and a barrel wrench with a protrusion the push the spring plug back while turning the barrel bushing?

... barrel bushing that will encircle the barrel and recoil spring plug completely....

lightbulb Not certain but I don't believe the clearance/alignment between the barrel and the recoil spring lug/guide remain perfectly true during the recoil cycle. It might be quite difficult to produce a one piece barrel bushing that doesn't bind to some degree on recoil.

I believe any clearance issues will be handled by the barrel link. I think there are currently compensators on the market that encircle the plug and barrel.

I believe any clearance issues will be handled by the barrel link. I think there are currently compensators on the market that encircle the plug and barrel.

From some of the diagrams and images I've looked at today it appears you may well be right about that. Best of luck in finding a resource for your project. Please post images of the work once completed. We'd like to see what you've been able to develop.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. It's just going to limit you in the way you can field strip the pistol. Its also going to limit or decrease accuracy. So much accuracy is derived from a well fit bushing.
How could you keep it from turning under recoil? You will need a way to lock it in left to right.
This is really the wrong site for this question. Post it over at a site where some of the prominent 1911 smiths post and ask them the question. I don't think you will like you're answer or find someone who wants to take the time to explore this, as most of them are so backed up its crazy. If you are dead set on trying it just tig weld the parts you have together and start sanding.
Jon

Would you happen to have a site name where prominent gunsmiths visit??
Think of the punisher muzzle brake. It encircles both the barrel and recoil spring plug and it doesn't rotate. If I can find a good gunsmith he can fit the bushing as good as any other to retain my accuracy. A two piece guide rod will assist with any issues of disassembly. As far as the wrong site I thought these were open forums where well schooled people could assist others find answers to questions related to topic headers; Gunsmithing.

It should be pretty easy to buy one of those compensators and mill the compensator part off, or trim it some other way. That would be a lot easier than making one from scratch or modifying a normal bushing.

I contemplated that but, all the ones I can find are made to fit a variety of pistols. Which as stated previously would cost me some accuracy. I have found that EGW makes a blank if I can find a qualified gunsmith to do the fabricating.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.