1903A4 Springfield is a shooter!

jwcrabb

Got this Gibbs 1903A4 Springfield Sniper 30-06 about 3 years ago. Never shot it much. I had a good load with for my Garand with the 168 MatchKing, but the Gibbs didn't like it much(1.5" group). Played around a little with the 125 Ballistic tips and it would shoot them into 1".

I decided to sell it a couple of months ago and had three takers but they all changed their minds because of a small chip in the stock. So I figure, might as well do some serious load workup and see if the rifle will shoot. I wanted a long range bullet in the 150g range for whitetail deer, so I chose two to try. The 155 Hornady AMAX and the Berger 155 VLD Hunting. I started out with a medium load of Varget. This is the first groups...

The AMAX was a success on the first try but I wasn't satisfied with the Berger. The first batch of Bergers had 030 jump, so I decide to move closer. The next batch was only .005 jump and did great.

Now i'm ready to start moving out to 300 and then 600 yds and see how she does, but i'm tickled so far!

Very nice! I have an original A3 Reminton that shoots sub MOA with Hornady FMJ 150gr, 56.5 IMR 4350. Those old Springfields are shooters! We shoot Vintage 300/600 Sniper competition. The shooters with the A4's with Unertyl's shoot some incredible scores.

Still have this rifle?

Pat

Yes, it's one of my "keepers" that I've owned for decades. Shortly after that post you referenced I acquired a limited run A4 Sniper from Creedmoor Sports. It was built by them using an original, modified A3 action to accommodate a scope, plus original style mounts. The barrel is a Criterion target grade that matches the A4 construction and finish. I have an Optilux replica of the Lyman Alaskan 2 1/2x scope mounted. As with my A3, it is also quite accurate. Shown with my Limited Edition Remington 700 M40 Vietnam Nam Era Sniper rifle with a Redfield 3x9 , similar to those used in the original rifles
BFF0D5F1-9073-4FAB-ABAE-1A7033A1CE37.jpeg

WoW Absolutely priceless. Love them both. Maybe you could please share some advise. I recently purchased this 1903a4 barreled receiver from the CMP. It has a 308 heavy barrel

1596406318636.png

Thanks!
Looks like a nice set-up. I'm not familiar with that configuration. The scope mount looks like a Redfield type
similar to the one in my M40. If so, it would allow the use of a contemporary scope. I'm not sure what stock
design would be used with the heavy barrel would be.
I'll bet it's a good shooter!!!

Thanks!
Looks like a nice set-up. I'm not familiar with that configuration. The scope mount looks like a Redfield type
similar to the one in my M40. If so, it would allow the use of a contemporary scope. I'm not sure what stock
design would be used with the heavy barrel would be.
I'll bet it's a good shooter!!!
I cant say I know what type of stock would fit. I wonder what it was used for and that may provide some direction to take. I just want to preserve its originality and do the right thing. I hope its a real shooter. I always wanted an A4.

I cant say I know what type of stock would fit. I wonder what it was used for and that may provide some direction to take. I just want to preserve its originality and do the right thing. I hope its a real shooter. I always wanted an A4.

I have heard of National Match 2903's with a heavy barrel. They had a more traditional sporter/varmint style stock. To make it an A4.may require mounting a 30-06 Criterion A4 barrel(no front sight) and adding the military pistol grip or half pistol grip 1903 A3 stock. They had a Parkerized finish on all metal.
Might try getting hold of this guy

69C387CF-CC9E-470B-A63D-FC71CDD72DC5.jpeg
5D8F3CD7-53C8-4110-B45F-C253A71417BB.jpeg

Yes, it's one of my "keepers" that I've owned for decades. Shortly after that post you referenced I acquired a limited run A4 Sniper from Creedmoor Sports. It was built by them using an original, modified A3 action to accommodate a scope, plus original style mounts. The barrel is a Criterion target grade that matches the A4 construction and finish. I have an Optilux replica of the Lyman Alaskan 2 1/2x scope mounted. As with my A3, it is also quite accurate. Shown with my Limited Edition Remington 700 M40 Vietnam Nam Era Sniper rifle with a Redfield 3x9 , similar to those used in the original rifles
View attachment 206612
I came across a 1903a4 barreled action with the correct redfield mount. I have been waiting 11 months for my barrel to be completed so far. I am still waiting!!!

Pat

That is quite long…especially for Kreiger! Everything gun related seems delayed. I have an order in to Criterion for a 6.5x284 match barrel, placed back in late November. They are an affiliate of Kreiger…..I was quoted 23 weeks. Hope they stick to that!