190 SMK's or 210 Bergers?

Exhaust3

190 SMK\'s or 210 Bergers?

I have a Rem. 700 LA with a 26" 1-10 twist SS #7 straight taper tube, chambered in 30-06 Ack. that I use for my long range hunting "work." I am currently using the 190 SMK's for my main long range bullet. I can push them above 2900 fps safely. I have doped this particualar rife to 1200 yds. It takes 31.0 MOA of scope to reach this distance. I live in Utah at 5300 ft. above sea level and 1200 yards is where you find it. Sierra publishes a .533 BC for the SMK and Berger publishes a .640 BC for their 210. Would it be worth it to change bullets? Am I giving up much by swithing? I'm fine if not but it's always fun to try! Any information would be greatful, thank you.

Re: 190 SMK\'s or 210 Bergers?

What i would do is aquire a few 210's and then do some chrono testing. Then plug all the correct numbers into the ballistic tables and take a look.

just my gut feeling is: Even in the AI you can't put enough slow powder behind a 210 before the drop becomes unexceptable. But this post is coming from somebody that felt like his 300 win mag was marginal in powder capacity. Right now I'm working on 220's and later 240's in a 30-378. I really think that the 300 ultra is the best case size.

So Chrono and plug in all the numbers and look at the results. Really look at the distance where the higher BC bullet overtakes the faster lighter bullet and of course bullet drop.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.