190 SMK COMPARISON QUESTION

RuffHewn

How does the wound, depth and diameter, from a 190 SMK from a .300 WSM at 3000 fps mv compare to a 180 Ballistic Silver Tip mv 3050, and a .270 Win 130 gr GameKing mv 3075, on a double lung broadside shot on large game at various ranges? I know the .270 130GK is effective from experience and was wondering if I should expect even better from the .300WSM 190SMK.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. There will probably be more since I just got back into hunting last year after being absent from the game fields through most of my military career.

Ruff... I think close in (400-) both 30 cal bullets will leave devastating, nasty-large exit wounds. The 190 has a significantly higher B.C. and will start to carry more energy to the target as the range increases. The jacket is thinner on the ogive of the 180 and thicker on the base relative to the 190. You may get better terminal performance with the 180 between 400 and 800 yards, but after that you will find that the 180's wind deflection and energy loss start to make the 190 or even heavier bullets look like the better option.

Thanks, S1. I appreciate knowing that there would most likely be complete penetration.

Am I correct to assume that the penetration of the 190 SMK would be considerably better than the .270Win 130 GK and the .300 WSM 150 and 168 Ballistic Silver Tips?

Yes, as long as you do not go crazy on the twist rate or start trying to kill at point blank range.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.