190 gr Wildcat and 7mm Dakota = mini Edge?

JARHEAD1371

I was kicking around some bullet/cartridge combos and wanted to see what y'all think. I like what I've read about the 338 Edge but I love the 7mm bullets too much to stray. From what I've read, the 190 gr Wildcat has a BC around .83-.9 and if matched with the Dakota and a 30" barrel should produce around 3000 fps with fairly low pressure.

Will this combo produce some awesome downrange performance? I'm thinking it will be good for deer out to 1300 yds or so.

Opinions?

I know Ernie was shooting the 200 wildcats in his 7dakota pistol. I dont think 3000 would be too hard to hit, especially with 30"! I've been looking into something a little bigger than my 7wsm. I know necking down the 375ruger gives you a very similar case capacity and I believe a smaller bolthead...

I was kicking around some bullet/cartridge combos and wanted to see what y'all think. I like what I've read about the 338 Edge but I love the 7mm bullets too much to stray. From what I've read, the 190 gr Wildcat has a BC around .83-.9 and if matched with the Dakota and a 30" barrel should produce around 3000 fps with fairly low pressure.

Will this combo produce some awesome downrange performance? I'm thinking it will be good for deer out to 1300 yds or so.

Opinions?

It should be fairly easy to accomplish but I'm not sure I would say with lower pressure. Hopefully a few folks with a 7 Dakotas will share. I've looked a lot at the Dakotas as well. It's a great cartridge. The 300 Case is slightly longer than the 7 and a 7-300 Dakota would give you a little more room. Then there's always the possibility of taking more advantage of the .404 Jeffery and stepping up to the RUM.

Mark

Ryan, I know of a guy getting 3075-3100 in a 26 inch 7 Dakota with the 180 Bergers

3000 should be doable with a 30" and 190 wc

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.