190 gr. SXR on moose

elkaholic

I got a chance to try my new custom B-78 chambered in 300 Sherman and some of my new 190 SXR bullets this fall. I did a lot of long range shooting prior to season and had some 2-3" groups at 880 yards. These were based on sierra jackets and aluminum ballistic tips with a B.C. of .615. MV was 3000 fps. I drew a combo tag for Montana and was excited to get out of the north Id. brush and do some long range stuff around Lewistown. I ended up killing a 6x5 elk and a 4x4 Mulie but both were no more than 100 yds. Both went down without a step and had massive chest cavity wounds with no exit. (no surprise for bullets designed for 1000 yds +) I was kittle disappointed that I didn't get a chance to check them out at long range, but this weekend, a friend of mine wanted me to guide him on a moose hunt here in north Id. so I took my 300 along in case he might need something a little more long legged than his model 742 '06. We spotted a bull bedded in an abandoned logging road accross the canyon. My friend asked how we were going to get over there to get a shot at him and I replied that we weren't, we were going to shoot him from here. He is not a long range shooter and thought I was crazy! I assured him that he could do it and I would talk him through it. I ranged the bull at 719 yds. with only a slight down slope and zero wind. I built him a solid rest accross the two 4 wheelers and dialed up 10 moa on the scope. I had him practice dry firing for a couple of minutes and he assured me that he was able to hold steady on the bull. The bull was quartering away so I told him to try to place the shot like he was attempting to hit the off shoulder. When he fired, the bull jumped to his feet and stood full broadside. I heard the smack of the bullet and knew he had made a hit. I told him to get another round in him before he got off of the road and down the approx. 50% solpe (no fun)! He sent another one down range and the moose dropped in his tracks. I haven't seen a grin this big for awhile:D A new long range hunter may be in the making! When we fianally found our way over to the abandoned road some 1 hour later, we found that the first shot had entered in at the back of the rib cage and had messed up the liver and lungs pretty bad. The second round struck right behind the front shoulder and took out the bottom of the spine destroying quit a bit of lung in the process. (Hunters often shoot moose a little high as the hump is very deceiving)The first bullet was lost somewhere in the organs and I am pretty sure the second is somewhere on the off side of the spine. I didn't have time to dig around for it at the time but plan on going back up to the carcass tomorrow since it is only a 20 min. quad ride from my house. I hate it when I can't find my bullets:)......Rich

Rich,

awsome write up! Those bullets sound sweet! .615 BC for a 190gr 30cal is very very nice!

Love to see some pics of that bullet if you find it.

You seem to talk about them a lot. Do you think you could talk a person through the process? Do you pour your own tips? How expensive is it to get things started to make your own bullets? How do you measure the weight of your lead blanks?

Tank

You seem to talk about them a lot. Do you think you could talk a person through the process? Do you pour your own tips? How expensive is it to get things started to make your own bullets? How do you measure the weight of your lead blanks?

Tank

I buy most of my supplies from Corbins. In the past, I have used a lot of his jackets but recently am going more to sierra and J4's (Berger) I buy the machined tips (both brass and aluminum). The cores I make from pure lead wire of the appropriate size for the caliber. It is then cut to slightly above desired weight and run through a core swage die to final weight. The jackets are trimmed to length (if necessary). The core is inserted into the jacket and is run through a series of dies to seat the core, form the rebated boat tail, form the desired ogive, and insert the tip. If bonding the core is used, some acid is placed in the core/jacket assembly and melted and then boiled in soda water to neutralize the acid before the swaging process begins. There are other tricks that can be used to obtain desired balance and expansion. Feel free to pm me and we can discuss it further if you are interested........Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.