190 Berger 30-378

I've seen a few post on the RL33 and the 300 Rum. So are you saying the high end charge weight for a 300 RUM is 95 grains of RL33. I thought some were pushing about 100 to 101 in the RUM. In most the post I read 95 grns was the starting charge unless I am mistaken and it was 210 grain bullet but I thought it was the 230's. I have a pound of RL33 waiting to be opened and a new box of 230 OTM to play with.:D

I've seen a few post on the RL33 and the 300 Rum. So are you saying the high end charge weight for a 300 RUM is 95 grains of RL33. I thought some were pushing about 100 to 101 in the RUM. In most the post I read 95 grns was the starting charge unless I am mistaken and it was 210 grain bullet but I thought it was the 230's. I have a pound of RL33 waiting to be opened and a new box of 230 OTM to play with.:D

I think the berger may eat more powder before it hits pressure... I'm using primarily the hornady 225, but the nosler 220 seems to build pressure similarly... I'd start low enough to cover your bases and aim for the neighborhood of 3,000 fps at a 26" barrel length. I'm getting 95 grains to 3,000 fps with the hornady in my rifle.

If I can get to 3000 with the 230's then that would be fine. Right now with the retumbo at the 89.4 granins I think this is some what of an stout charge. If the 95 grains is not as bad on the brass and I get 60+fps more then that would be great. I think I'm going to start working on this load soon with the RL's 33 and the 230's. What would be nice is to get this gun to a custom shop next year and get the action done and a new box mag so I can run some of the longer bullets in a mag or I just, just might move up to something like a 338 Lapua improved. The 338-378 would be another option but the weatherby brass is expensive and softer than the lapua in my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.