19 Calhoon

Perfect timing Dean2! I was just getting ready to order the sgl. shot follower. I'll call him to see if he'd trade mine,too. Then I'd have both. I have 2 Cooper sgl shot rifles and they are quick and easy to load so James's should be too. I can use the mag. for around here so I can have one ready when the lone groundhog shows up. All I would have to do is close the bolt. Yeah, I could run a round into the chamber a apply the safety; but it's not the best thing to do where I go. All in all, having options is a good thing! Thanks for the tip!

Hum, Dean2, James has gone up on the trade. He now charges $35. plus shipping; but since I'm getting the sgl. shot follower, no shp chg. Had a good conversation with him,too.

Good to hear the positive reviews on the Calhoun .19. I recently bought a CZ527 in 223 at an auction that I'm going to send out to him to comvert to a .19-223. The slow down has been shooting it as a 223. Very accurate and fun, but at some point I'm going to have to get back to the original plan. Thanks for the info on the follower.

Hum, Dean2, James has gone up on the trade. He now charges $35. plus shipping; but since I'm getting the sgl. shot follower, no shp chg. Had a good conversation with him,too.
Given how much work it is to do them that is actually pretty fair price in today's world. Even when you are good at it, it would take half hour to 45 minutes to do one. Since the shipping is thrown in you might want to order some of his ammo boxes at the same time. They fit 22H etc far better than any others I tried.

I've owned a CZ 19 badger since 2004 since I live in California I was bummed when we could not shoot lead anymore but I bought a Corbin drawing die and draw the 20 cal 24 grain Hornady NTX to 19 cal and get 4100 FPS under with .3 -.5 5 shot groups. it really eats ground squirrels and makes for a great fur round no exit so far on coyotes

I've owned a CZ 19 badger since 2004 since I live in California I was bummed when we could not shoot lead anymore but I bought a Corbin drawing die and draw the 20 cal 24 grain Hornady NTX to 19 cal and get 4100 FPS under with .3 -.5 5 shot groups. it really eats ground squirrels and makes for a great fur round no exit so far on coyotes
Interesting... I have a Corbin die as well since I live in Ca. U happen to be using AA2200 powder?

Dean2, you did notice I'm trading. Yeah, it is time consuming and he has to extend the follower,too. I'm not put off by his cost.
jasgus, when I bought my 19 Calhoon, I think it was the only one he was making at that time. Could be wrong, but since I saw this one and liked it, I'm happy. I have two 20 Tacticals so I've pretty much got almost the same as the 19/223, but I think the 19 has the edge over the Tac! While I get 3800fps with a 39gr. bullet and sub 1/2 inch groups, the 19 runs 4000 and gives the same or better groups! In hindsight I wish I had gone the 19/223 route instead of the 20 TAC.

News flash! I gotta share this with all y'all. I sent my magazine back to James to swap for one of his longer versions, that Dean2 told me about. Also paid for a single shot follower. He got the package TODAY and I just got a call from him! He said I had the extended mag.! I was thinking I had a very early model, but turns out I bought it in 2003, not 1993! (I only had the 3 right. My bad memory.) But James could have sent it back, never said anything, and I would not have been the wiser. NO ! He's too honest for that! He's a true blue for you kinda guy. We had a very pleasant chat and he's gonna send my refund and the follower asap. Those of you who have one (or more?) of his excellent rifles know they are great works. Those of you thinking about getting one; this is just one more reason to go ahead and do it. You absolutely won't regret it! Prairie dogs and ground hogs will ! LOL.

Another thing about James. Besides being a really nice guy he also used to and I assume still does make bullets. No Idea what the "Silver Bullet" coating he uses is, but it is the real deal. His .22 double hollow points are an experience everyone should try at least once. I wish he still made .17's.

He still makes them, or at least you can still buy them. Yes, they are amazing bullets! I've got both 20 cal. and now some 19 cal and they shoot incredibly well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.