1858 New Army, Steel Revolver

justgoto

I had just bought a replica of a 1858 New Army, Steel Revolver and was wondering if anyone has load data on it.

I was also wondering about muzzle velocity, if there are drop charts, and what kind of accuracy I should expect from it.

I tried it at 20 yards, it shot about 2 inches left at that distance.

YouTube - Cap & Ball

It is my first black powder firearm and if anyone had any advice on loading/shooting/maintaining it, I'm all ears.

Drop charts? Really? That thing has like 350 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle!

I have a cabelas reproduction like that. It shoots a lot better with the ball-ets than balls though I heard Buffalo Bullets went under.

Mine has adjustable sights, I've shot it decently out to maybe 30-40 yds. Past that I have to ask...why...other than to hope and pray for a hit?

As for loads, I think I use around 35gr FFFg Triple Seven. Pretty much a full cylinder and a felt wad over the powder.

Thanks for the info... No thanks for the tone... Really!

Yeah, I shot it out to 75 yards today and hit the last 2 of 6 shots on my 12x8 inch target, after I found where it was hitting. I expect to get it out to 100+ yards.

I joined this site to get away from the "You can't do that!" people; it seems that when I post, more times than not, those people show-up.
They say, "You'll never get good groups at range with a 30-30!" they were wrong.
They say, "You can't hit a pie plate at 150 yards every time with a 357magnum!" I regularly shoot 3" groups.
And now I can't shoot beyond 40 yards with this gun. I'm not surprised you are wrong.

Just because you might not be able to do something, does not mean others can't. Tearing the people down that try, does not lift you up; it may even accomplish the opposite.

Perhaps if you don't like the replies you get here (which by the way included useful advice), you should just leave?

I think claiming ".58 MOA" like you can really claim that to the hundredths says it all. I bet that was one lucky 3 shot group if anything. Have fun with your imaginary abilities troll. I just hope you don't shoot at game like that. I have shot deer at 20 yards with that gun loaded to the end of the cylinder and the results were not impressive -- as you would expect with such low velocity and muzzle energy.

Last edited:
(which by the way included useful advice)

Which I thanked you for.

just leave
No. There are plenty of nice helpful people here, they out weigh the rude ones by a good deal. I think I'll stay.

I think claiming ".58 MOA" like you can really claim that to the hundredths says it all.
Yeah, it beats measuring by the yard like you do.

I bet that was one lucky 3 shot group if anything.
If you would like to bet, I'll go up against any or your rifles with my 30-30 at 300 yards anytime. We'll bet rifles.

Have fun with your imaginary abilities troll.
Says the dude that comes in with an attitude. Look up the term troll, I bet your picture is in it.

I just hope you don't shoot at game like that.
Um troll, who sad I was going to hunt with it? Typical troll assumption.

I have shot deer at 20 yards with that gun loaded to the end of the cylinder and the results were not impressive -- as you would expect with such low velocity and muzzle energy.
And you have the nerve to make an idiotic assumption I would try that? WOW! I wan't even gong to try groundhogs. Sheesh, you're a prize!

See people, this is what I am talking about, there is always one in the group.

Every time I open a thread, I hope I don't see ****. I have never seen so many people willing to start ****, all the time. You'd think we were on the 'Hide'. There are some Professional **** Starters over there.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.