185 Berger vs 215 Berger

jessegibson1978

Was wondering if anyone could tell me why I'm shooting 1/4" groups with the 185 and 1 1/4" with the 215. Was really wanting to use the 215s. Have tried 4350, 7828sc, Retumbo and H-1000. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Need more information. What round are you using, barrel length, rate of twist, brass, primers.

Whoops. 300 win mag, 24" barrel, 1-10 twist, Rem 700. Primers have been WLRM fed 210gmm that's all I can find been looking for 215gmm to no avail. Hogue full aluminum bed glass skim, full floated, mini mag muscle brake.

Whoops. 300 win mag, 24" barrel, 1-10 twist, Rem 700. Primers have been WLRM fed 210gmm that's all I can find been looking for 215gmm to no avail. Hogue full aluminum bed glass skim, full floated, mini mag muscle brake.
jessiegibson1978,
Was your testing for the 215 done in the same manner as the 185? If so what were the steps please?

Yes everything was the same. Worked ladders for col and powder charges in the manner described in Eric's article. I tried in .040 increments then went to .020 pretty well identical groups one length did stand out above the others at 1 1/4" worked powder charges from low book until I got faint ejector marks with all above powders groups stayed consistent. Was beginning to think I had forgotten how to shoot . Loaded 5 rounds of the 185 with h-1000 group measured .210 center to center so loaded another 5 was .240. Also I was using Norma brass neck sized only Redding dies Redding VLD seater. Actually wanted the extra weight for closer range whitetail shots vary form 30-600 yards. How would the 185 perform on broad side through the ribs at 30 yards .

1978, the 210 Match primers are not magnum primers. Since your rifle shoots the 185's that accurately, the 215's should be a bit easier to find an accurate load. There has been many threads on this caliber with various weight Berger bullets with great results. Perhaps the custom search top right will help. Also check out the extremely accurate "Broz" load for the 215-230 Bergers which seems to be the go to load for the 300 WM.

Good luck

Yes everything was the same. Worked ladders for col and powder charges in the manner described in Eric's article. I tried in .040 increments then went to .020 pretty well identical groups one length did stand out above the others at 1 1/4" worked powder charges from low book until I got faint ejector marks with all above powders groups stayed consistent. Was beginning to think I had forgotten how to shoot . Loaded 5 rounds of the 185 with h-1000 group measured .210 center to center so loaded another 5 was .240. Also I was using Norma brass neck sized only Redding dies Redding VLD seater. Actually wanted the extra weight for closer range whitetail shots vary form 30-600 yards. How would the 185 perform on broad side through the ribs at 30 yards .
Was the 185 our hunting VLD or CLASSIC HUNTER?

Ok. The seating depth testing you used is actually for our VLD hunting and target bullets. Try the 215 Hybrid target testing starting on the lands and working back in .005 increments. You want to do this at the lowest powder charge listed for the bullet/powder/cartridge combination you are testing for. Once you find the seating depth accuracy node then work your load back up to find your velocity accuracy node. Now the 215 is a TARGET HYBRID bullet and has a thicker jacket than our hunting bullets so we really do not recommend it as a hunting round even though many hunters have had good success with it. Also that success has been in the magnum cartridges . You may want to stick with the CLASSIC HUNTER as it seems to be working very well for you. On our website under the HUNTING tab you can find targets of different types of game that have shaded ares showing where we suggest bullet placement. And you can print them out for practice also.

1978, the 210 Match primers are not magnum primers. Since your rifle shoots the 185's that accurately, the 215's should be a bit easier to find an accurate load. There has been many threads on this caliber with various weight Berger bullets with great results. Perhaps the custom search top right will help. Also check out the extremely accurate "Broz" load for the 215-230 Bergers which seems to be the go to load for the 300 WM.

Good luck

Unfortunately I have been unable to find any fed 215 primers or 215GMM anywhere locally next time I find some in stock I will buy at least a case.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts