180gr 300WSM loads? favorites?

I'm new to long range hunting and reloading. I am looking for a good .300 WSM load for Elk. I am thinking of trying the Nosler Accubond or Hornady SST in 180 gr. I have a Browing A-Bolt Medallion with a 23" barrel and 1 in 10" twist. I was wondering if anyone has built a specific load for the abolt and can give me some advice? Thanks

I'm new to long range hunting and reloading. I am looking for a good .300 WSM load for Elk. I am thinking of trying the Nosler Accubond or Hornady SST in 180 gr. I have a Browing A-Bolt Medallion with a 23" barrel and 1 in 10" twist. I was wondering if anyone has built a specific load for the abolt and can give me some advice? Thanks

I would look at IMR/H 4350, RL19, RL17.. Those three should all get you above 2900 and I am betting it wouldn't take too much to find an accurate load. Never worked with an ABolt much, but around 67-68 grains of RL19, WW case and CCI250 would get you in the ballpark I bet.

Unless you want to take a chance on a wounded animal, forget the sst. They are very frangible and good for deer only. Stay with a premium bullet. The ssts dynamite on deer, let alone elk.

I will look into the RL-19. What other bullet would you recommend for Elk? I have been thinking about just using the Nosler Accubond, but using the Nosler Ballistic Tips to work up a load since they have the same ballistics and are about $10 cheaper a box.

I will look into the RL-19. What other bullet would you recommend for Elk? I have been thinking about just using the Nosler Accubond, but using the Nosler Ballistic Tips to work up a load since they have the same ballistics and are about $10 cheaper a box.

I'm in the early stages but am going to try bt's first also then accubonds. As for powder, imr 4350 is looking more promising than h100v which was supposed to be good. A buddy uses imr 4831 with good results too. The accubonds will slay elk. I've hit a 300 rsaum that I used this fall. The 180's were deadly (only 150 yd shot).

Unfortunately, I do not own a 300. I shoot 7 mags. I used to load 175 Interlocks for deer and for practice and then shoot 175 partitions for hunting elk. In my rifle, they both shot to the same poi, which worked great. Now, I shoot 160 partitions in one rifle and 139 interlocks for deer in another.

For elk, I would stay with the bonded bullets, all copper bullets or the partitions. Regular bullet such as the Interlocks will work, but a little more insurance is better when you have invested lots of time and money in an elk hunt.

I have no use for Bergers, but that is personal preference.

I have a Browning X-Bolt and I shoot 168gr TTSX Barnes with 66gr of IMR4350 and I have had great results. I know this is an old thread so I'm hoping that you found a good 180gr load for your rifle. I bought some 180 TTSX and have some 200gr Accubonds on order to try.

I have had great success with 65.5 grains RL 17 and 180 gr SST's in my WSM. Shot out to 600 odd yards and always spot on on steel target. Shot plenty of Fallow deer out to 400 yards. Generally dead within 40 yards. I think they are going 2900 fps

The 200 Accubonds are pretty good bullet in the WSM behind 67-68 grains of 7828ssc or 63.0 grains of RL17. Both powders will get them going in the high 2800s and up into the 2900s depending on your barrel length.

I have had great success with 65.5 grains RL 17 and 180 gr SST's in my WSM. Shot out to 600 odd yards and always spot on on steel target. Shot plenty of Fallow deer out to 400 yards. Generally dead within 40 yards. I think they are going 2900 fps

I'm betting you're up around 3050 fps with your WSM load if you've got a 23-24 inch barrel. I ran that exact load in one of my previous 23" WSMs with great success.

I think you would spot on. Unfortunately the barrel is 20 inches, so they are going 2950 with the 190 grain accubond L R's. Very accurate, though. Shot a Roebuck in the back of the neck at 240 yds yesterday evening. Zeroed at 200, no drop at all!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.