180g Berger VLD shortage

nheninge

I (et al) have been waiting for Berger to finish/fix their presses for the 7mm 180g hunting VLD's. I have been keeping an eye on them for months and made multiple phone calls only to be told each time that these bullets should be ready in a few weeks. This was about 3-4 months ago and my supply is dwindling fast. I have a custom rifle designed around this bullet so... does anybody have an idea where I can get a box or two to tide me over, or at least know when they will REALLY be available? Berger reps... please feel free to reply!

Thanks

I feel for you
The short or no supply combined with being harder to get consistant loads is why I gave up on bergers
I hada load that shot great 3in groups at 1000 yards
but you cant shoot what you cant get!
they allways say they are getting it fixed but never seam to get anywhere.
plus I had a hard time keeping things consistant I have been told it might be the dies I use rcbs and was told fosters dies do better.
My lenght would vary as much as 40 thou from one to another
I can load nozzlers all day and not vary more than 2 thou.
Good luck to you
retiredcpo

I loaded some Berger 180gr TARGET VLDs and they were ringing the the gong at 800 without any change in a rifle zeroed with 180 HUNTING VLDs. Might get you through at the range until the regular VLDs start hitting shelves.

I have the same problem here. I'm down to about 50 bullets. One gun shop has a few boxes of the 168 and they are asking $49 each. I bought the 180's about 2 months ago for $42. Looks like I'm gonna be ordering 500 JLK's soon, they're cheaper and I know I can get them.

I have two pretty good local shops(meaning not national chains) If you give me the exact bullet you are looking for i will see if they have them. Im not looking to make anything you will just have to cover the exact cost. I am looking for some 210g hornady A-Max in 308 cal. Maybe you can check your local shops for me.

You can look here, looks like they have 180g Target VLDs and both hunting/target 168g VLDs.

.284 Diameter

Also, call these guys here and see what they have in stock.

.284 Diameter

I have no POI changes with same loads and die settings out to 600 yards substituting the 180g Hunting/Target VLDs in my rifle.

I plan to practice/compete with 180g Match or hybrids and hunt with Hunting VLDs.

Lastly, Berger is currently running the hunting 180g VLDs, so the shortage should be over soon.

Just ordered the target bullets for 180g from third gen yesterday. Should do for now. Thanks for the replies. I just got tired of berger saying they were "two weeks away" for months....

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts