180 VLD vs 195 VLD in 28 Nosler

The Oregonian

Because I can't stop tinkering and am toying with the idea of switching from 195 to 180 VLD in my 26" 28N. I believe i remember reading a comment by Broz that the 195 robs velocity to the point that it doesn't make up for the increased BC.

I have no complaints with the 195 - dropped a nice bull at 581 with one shot this fall. Just curious what the pros and cons are re: the two. I can run the velocity and BC (though not sure what velocity i may get with a 180) to see the differences but just curious if anyone has any input from experience with both.

Addl info - I get to ignite about 3000 FPS with 77.4 of Retumbo but get pressure starting right above that. I will likely see what I can get with RL33 after the season is over and I imagine I may get a little more velocity with the 195's. Bc of Barrel life i don't target shoot much with this - only to prepare for hunting season, and I think I am at my limit on game around 600 yds. My 280AI and 6.5CM get the range work.

Thanks in advance.

I bought my 28 because I wanted to shoot the 195's. Started load dev with 195's and the 180's, had a good load for both, ended up sticking with the 180's just for that reason, it wasn't until beyond 1000 yards that the 195 took over in terms of velocity retained. Add in that the 195 can be hard to get at times, and it was a no brainer for me.

Don't rule out the 180 Hybrids...
I've heard of people using them with success but we don't use them any more. The jacket is thicker and we had one pencil right through an elk shoulder at 611 yards. Dang near lost him and DID lose part of the meat!
Another friend lost a deer the same way and had the hit on film.

I've heard of people using them with success but we don't use them any more. The jacket is thicker and we had one pencil right through an elk shoulder at 611 yards. Dang near lost him and DID lose part of the meat!
Another friend lost a deer the same way and had the hit on film.
Hell, after having one of my 168 hunting VLD's fail to expand on a deer at 200 after leaving the muzzle at 3,115, and all the other brands and models of bullets I've had fail, I've come to the conclusion that all bullets have potential to failure, and just like Forrest Gump said, sometimes sh!t happens, and there's nothing any of us can do about it. I got lucky, good shot placement dropped the doe in her tracks and she never moved a muscle. Dead before it hit the ground.

I bought my 28 because I wanted to shoot the 195's. Started load dev with 195's and the 180's, had a good load for both, ended up sticking with the 180's just for that reason, it wasn't until beyond 1000 yards that the 195 took over in terms of velocity retained. Add in that the 195 can be hard to get at times, and it was a no brainer for me.
What speeds are you getting with both, and what powders?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.