180 Hornady ELD-M bullets blowing up in air

squeeeeze

Have a 28 Nosler and have bullets that have keyholed and came apart as close as 100 yards. A few have completely missed the backstop at 100 and the box was approx. 18"x36" and nowhere to be seen on paper.

This has happened with 2 different people loading with different dies and shooting on their own. Loading Retumbo 78.5-80.5 grains and approx. 3070fps-3180.

Didn't experience this shooting the 195's and all shots always accounted for.

Have seen puffs of dirt randomly on ground or hill away from target to verify they're exploding. So at 300+ yards some seem to just vanish and apparently blowing up in mid air. Anyone else experience this with the Hornady 180 ELD-M? Some have shot pretty good groups at 100 but seem to not want to make it much further.

Full custom from reputable competent smith. Defiance action, Proof carbon fiber w/1:8.44" twist, manners stock, Jewell Trigger, all high end components.

Last edited:
Approx. 150 now. Had pressure (ejector marks, and sticky bolt) with 195's from the beginning with low end loads. so switched to 180's. And been happening with the 180's since started using them. Took a while to figure out they were coming apart.

Cleaned barrel for proper break in initially.

I have heard of this. Usually its's the following situation
1 high speed
2 high twist
3 warm barrel

I've never experienced it but have heard of it a couple of times with the 180s.

I think the speed needs to be around 3150 or higher. One guy was running at 3200.

I've been shooting at 3050 out of an 8 twist with no issues. I'm using a 7mm RM though so I can't push up to the speeds you're getting.

I'm using them in my 28 nosler, it has a 8 twist barrel and is pushing them 3260fps with no issues.

I shoot them at 3185 out of mine, and have gone up to 3270 with no problems. 9" twist, never shot more than 3 at a time between cooling because I don't hate my barrel :)

Shooting them at 3100 from my 8 twist 28 nosler.
They've been great bullets, over 100 fired without a single problem.
I don't shoot more than 5 shots without cooling.

I shoot slow strings, approx 1 shot per minute and a 5 shot string max then let barrel cool. I don't hate my barrel either and never let it overheat. It was happening below 3100 FPS with the 1:8.44 twist.

Thanks for the links and the responses, I'll give Hornady a call and see what they say. Glad this didn't happen in the field on that record book deer.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.