180 grain Scirocco II's & .300 Winchester Magnum - Perplexed

Re: 180 grain Scirocco II\'s & .300 Winchester Magnum - Perplexed

Let us know your results with the 180 Accubonds!

I haven't gotten to the 180 grain Accubonds yet. I am just to stubborn to give up on the bullet I really want to shoot. It may cost a bit more, but I really think the Scirocco II is the best of the bonded, polymer tipped bullets out there for the hunting I do. As far as trying RL-22 goes, I gave that a whirl a couple of weeks back and the groups were better than IMR 4831, but still not good enough for me...1.5" range. I have some loaded up with varying charges of H1000 right now...just waiting for the weather to cool slightly (weatherman tells me I may be able to shoot this week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

If the H1000 doesn't work I am going to try some IMR 7828 to see how it shoots. If I don't find what I am looking for there I may purchase some RL 25 and give it a whirl.

If I don't find what I'm looking for by then I will throw in the towel and try the 180 grain Accubonds.

I am not fretting over the time line as I already have a load worked up that throws the 200 grain Accubond into an inch consistently at 3,000 fps.

I will keep you posted.

If you don't find that they shoot good with around 79.5-81 of H1000 I'd forget them and get onto the band wagon with the Accubonds. I'm a real lover of the swift aframe and really really hoped the scirrocco would shoot for me. Haven't tried the SSII's but could never get the originals to shoot and I tried them in alot of guns....both mine and friends. I lost a little reloading credibility with those bullets. Also, give the 200 accubond a try with the 300 win mag and retumbo.
One last idea...if you are really really sold on making the scirrocco work try slowing them down to about 2900. I have a 300 win that loves almost any bullet at that speed....it might be the barrel harmonics you are looking for.

Kraky1,
Have you any experience with a 180 Accubond out of a .300 Win.mag.?I want to work up some loads and have H-4831sc and H-1000 on hand.My barrel is 25.3".Velocity?Accuracy?
Thanks,
Jim

Use any good published load with the 180 balistic tip. If you get that to shoot good then spend the money and try the same load with the accubond. Go to noslers website and buy the blems. For all practical purposes they are the same as 1st quality. ONLY YOUR GUN will tell you what it likes. Don't listen to me and others.....work with the slow powders list RE22, Re 25, H1000, H4831, I4831, your gun will will show your what it like!! Good Luck... Kraky

I use 82 grs of H-1000 with cci 250 primers in my Sendero over 180 gr NABs, and it works like a charm. It gets me about 2970fps and about 1/2" groups at 100 yds.

As far as performance of the Accubond goes well...that speaks for itself.

I load for a friend custom 300 Weatherby using these bullets. 85 grain IMR 7828 will push the 180 grain Scirocco around 3200 fps. Accuracy is outstanding.
On the other hand, for my 300 Winchester Model 70 Laredo, I load 82 grain of H-1000 to propell the 180 grain Hornady BTSP at around 3000 fps. Very accurate load. Top two target below were some sample of the accuracy I get from these loads.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/silay57/Picture010.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.