180 Grain Accubond Vs Antelope, Smaller Deer

Canyon Stalker

Could one expect a 180 grain Accubond at 30-06 velocities to expand reliably on a behind the shoulder, double lung shot on an antelope or a smaller deer? The only reason I ask is because I expect that to be my elk load this year and might be in a scenario where I could end up using it on multiple species. I guess if I did come across lighter game I could hit it with a high shoulder shot, but I prefer to hit the vitals when I can. I won't be shooting them at long distances, either; I don't shoot past 300 yards. I know that's ironic considering where I'm asking this, but I figure if anyone knows about bullet exspansion it's long range shooters.
I'm just a little confused about this. I hear some people say a heavy premium that isn't at crazy velocities will pencil through causing the animal to run off. Some say that they shoot them with 180s or even 200s and the terminal ballistocs are very good. Someone set me straight.

An Accubond bullet going approximately 2800 fps + or - will perform fine at that velocity range for pretty much any north american big game. I wouldn't worry about an Accubond not expanding good enough until I got below 2000 fps, as Rich stated. Depending on your elevation, that won't be until 700ish yards, so your good.

....You could always drop it down to 165 grain ABs for everything and be done with it.........

The downside of an expanding, bonded core bullet is that they often don't don't penetrate as well as other choices.

My preference would be to step up to the 200 grain Accubond, it will expand on antelope, and penetrate better for elk.

In the 30-06 it will stay above the 1800 fps threshold Nosler advertises for expansion to about 600 yards.

At 300 yards, the AB will expand just fine on an antelope. I think I tested them down to about 2000'......Rich

+1 It will do fine. But if you are doubtful, just clip the back edge of the shoulder blade in the center of your normal POA and this will cause the bullet to start the expansion process. This area of the shoulder is normally the thinnest and the bullet still enter the boiler works.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.