180 Berger VLD Seating Depth Test

jweigel

After lots of reading and emails to the Techs at Berger (thanks Phil, Corey and Blaine) I started reloading (new to me) and did the standard seating depth testing that Berger recommends. I wanted to get the depth dialed in before I move to powder testing. I'm using Fed 215 primers, Nosler brass (new ....never fired) and 74.5 grains of Retumbo (starting load as recommended). I shot at 100 yards.

I have never ever shot a group this good. The crazy thing is I was also testing from .050 to .010 in my Sendero 7RM with 168 Bergers. The 0.050 group was .23"

I have three shot loads from 0.050 to 0.010 in .010" increments to see where the sweet spot is. Now if I can only duplicate those groups.

The gun is a Rem Sendero.

jjw
ND

Attachments

• 20150418_101214small.jpg
    20150418_101214small.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 20150418_111113small.jpg
    20150418_111113small.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 28
Did you start with bergers suggested c.o.l. or did you find your c.o.l.?

keep it up Jerry and you may just outshoot my 35 whelen... :D:D:D That .295" 200 yard group was better than I've put up with the rifle before. You confirmed the rifle was happy with the cloverleaf you shot at 100...

I hope to get my stw out in the next week or two after the 'smith gets done with it. We can try to outshoot each other apples to apples then.

Seriously, anything under 1/2 moa consistently and you are good to go. From what I saw the other day, you simply need to get a few more groups down range in varying conditions to confirm accuracy at your chosen depth and you will be good to go... The rifle shoots well enough that I have absolutely no concerns that you will get there. The guy behind the rifle isn't doing badly either....

Did you start with bergers suggested c.o.l. or did you find your c.o.l.?

I measured mine at 3.165. Headspace in my gun (Rem Sendero) is 2.458. I FL size to a .001 or 2 less then that. Seems to take a couple firings to get brass to that length.

I am using Nosler brass which measure .314 with a 180 Berger. I bushing size to .312.

Jayson and John...you have been so helpful also. Thanks for taking to time to answer my never ending questions.

jjw
ND

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts