18-20" 300 RUM: change my mind..

7.62 Gunner,
I am using Retumbo and there is a point of no return where speed drops off and pressure increases. I backed off from pressure to get to where it's at. It shoots great but I'm not done with testing yet. Hoping to find a sweet spot around 3,000fps. Mag box is 4" and I'm not sure what the overall coal is, I'm just measuring off the lands.

I wouldn't waste my time with a 20" 300 RUM. You really need to go with something like a 30-378 Weatherby and stop playing around with the small stuff! Lol

I had a 16" Savage Striker in 300 RUM that shot 168gr bullets just under 3200 fps, and 180s in the 3100 fps range. Those were top end loads, but they weren't blowing primers.

Long barrels are great for a lot of things, but I'll take a 20-22" barrel all day long for hunting. I just step up to a larger case to make up for the 100-150 fps velocity loss.

Yeah I can only imagine! I know it took me awhile to change my ways..
I was a 26" minimum kinda guy forever, I hate brakes for hunting and finally took the plunge a few years ago and chopped my 6.5 saum to 16" and got a suppressor.

Your 18" RUM would get a guy to 1100 yards for elk, try saying that 15 years ago..
Well, around 13-14 years ago, I killed a buck antelope (Not a elk) over 1K with a center-grip XP-100 in 7mm WSM.
We all have to start somewhere in figuring things out about what works and what does not work.
My center-grip XP-100 in 7mm Dakota, will get me to 1100 yards as well, and I would have made that statement over 15 years ago, if I had been asked.
Kirby Allen/APS built my first 7 Dakota about 17 years ago. It was an intentional LR deer and elk Specialty Pistol

I'm running a 24" 30 Nos that I'm head over heals for, except that it's stupid frigging long with my Nomad LT suppressor.
The suppression and recoil reduction is amazing to the point that I refuse to ever put the brake back on.
Soo I'm looking to go with a short barrel and continue the suppressed goodness with 225 eldms around 2800 fps.
I don't buy into the "Efficiency" crap, and 700-1000 rounds will take me 4-5 years of shooting.
I have a 3.850 mag box
What do you all think?

And please for the love of Jesus don't recommend a 30 Sherman Mag...
Just be careful with that 225 ELDM. Stupid accurate but I hit a bull elk in the front shoulder at 200 yards out of my 300 PRC and we found 3 chunks of shoulder bone and a blood trail in the snow for about 2 miles before it gradually dried up. We saw where the elk spent the night. Almost certain it destroyed the front shoulder but did not penetrate into lungs. Also my so shot a cow elk with it in the crease at 190 yards. Killed well but no exit. They are soft bullets and won't penetrate well through heavy bone or steep quartering angles. You will be fine in the crease. You may also consider 20-22" and get a shorter suppressor or a folding stock. I love my 22" 300 WSM with a o
Folding magnesium XLR chassis. 16 day sheep hunt and it would fold up and slip in the water holder in my kuiu pack. Barrel was about at the top of my head. No higher. Minimal snagging on tree branches etc.

I had a 16" Savage Striker in 300 RUM that shot 168gr bullets just under 3200 fps, and 180s in the 3100 fps range. Those were top end loads, but they weren't blowing primers.
Do you have a pic?
Did you post about this in the past? If so do you have a link to it?

Do you have a pic?
Did you post about this in the past? If so do you have a link to it?

I'll dig around and see if I have any pics of the gun. I built it probably 12 years ago using a cut down factory barrel. I torched the barrel and replaced it with my 338/375 Ruger barrel that's still on that action. I do have this video of my friend Ean shooting it probably 10 years ago.

Love it.
Watched some of your other videos too.
It is too bad you are scared of larger cartridges in specialty pistols🤣

Love it.
Watched some of your other videos too.
It is too bad you are scared of larger cartridges in specialty pistols🤣

I don't know how I ever hit anything with those guns! Between the "low velocity", inefficient powder burns, and fireball of unburned powder, I'm surprised the bullets didn't just fall out of the sky! 😂

I'm a little disappointed that more people are coming around to the idea of short barreled guns. It means I need to keep coming up with more extreme ideas to keep the specialty pistols interesting! Now all the cool kids have a short barreled 300 mag of some kind. I'm not sure what I'll do when I start seeing more 20" barreled CheyTacs. I still need to come up with something to one-up the 375 CT you built a while back!

I'm a little disappointed that more people are coming around to the idea of short barreled guns. It means I need to keep coming up with more extreme ideas to keep the specialty pistols interesting!

I still need to come up with something to one-up the 375 CT you built a while back!

I didn't know it was a competition…:D
I am sure you will come up with something.

I'm a little disappointed that more people are coming around to the idea of short barreled guns. It means I need to keep coming up with more extreme ideas to keep the specialty pistols interesting!
Switch to long barrels 😈

I think a 34" XP-100 would be perfectly reasonable 🤣 Especially if you found a way to put it in a Mannlicher style stock.

I have an 18" 300 Norma built by @Elk Hunter 338. Shoots 225s @ 2875. Absolutely love it and I used to have a 26" 300 Norma that I loved aside from the length lol
For a sec I got my wired cross and thought you were talking 308 Norma magnum. Like the old belted case a bit shorter than .300 win mag haha. My 300 Winnie gets 225s to 2800 out of a 24 inch and I couldn't figure out how the heck you could be doing this 🤣