18” carbon barrel 243 ai

Rugerman77

Thinking of rebarreling my model 7 243. This was my first rifle my dad got for me so I'm not interested in going anything other than 243 or the ai. Thoughts? Ai worth it?

I run a 6.5 PRC 18" carbon barrel and it saved me just under 1/2 pound to using stainless because I use a suppressor. The size of barrel I needed for the 5/8" threads required bigger barrel.

I run a 6.5 PRC 18" carbon barrel and it saved me just under 1/2 pound to using stainless because I use a suppressor. The size of barrel I needed for the 5/8" threads required bigger barrel.
You can thread an 18" #4 30 cal in 5/8×24, there's very little if any weight saving.
I have a 16.5" 6.5 thats threaded 5/8×24 and it weighs 2lbs 4 oz

Looks cool is always a good reason. 243ai is a great little round. I shoot one in 1000 yard matches and it does quite well. I do believe it's one of Kenny Jarretts favorite cartridges and he likes it in short barrels. Good luck with your project.
Shep

I do like the look of cf but I'm just building it for a pack rifle for white tails. If I can get away with something else I'm down to save money. What are y'all's thoughts on twist rate and bullet to throat for? I don't need to break both shoulders every shot as I prefer the neck. However I'd like to have enough weight / sectional density to be able to if needed.

7 twist for 115 Bergers
6 twist if you want to shoot heavy monos

Check put North Land Shooting Supply for a Criterion barrel

An 8 twist will shoot almost all the 6s decent. In your little model 7 regular 100 gr hunting bullets should fit just right. But you can shoot 105 hybrids or 108 Berger's too. And one of my favorites is the 115 Dtac. In my 1000 yard gun with 29 inch barrel I shoot the 115s over 3200fps with Rl26. Look into the hammer bullets too. The absolute hammer will give you back the speed you lose with the short barrel. Solids punch above their weight too. If I was looking to save weight and money I would do a sporter barrel contour like a number 4 shilen and get spiral fluting done to it. I've compared these to the proof barrels I get and they weight the same. I get my fluting done by twisted barrel and he puts it in deep as you can go. They still shoot great too. I've had no problem keeping under my 1/2 moa guarantee.
Shep

This is what I would try in your new rifle.
shep

This is what I would try in your new rifle.
shep
If you go AI and with the Absolute Hammer, you would likely make back alot of the losses from such a short barrel. I think Shep gave some great suggestions.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts