178 gr. ELD-X out of a 300 weatherby

aOWENc

Hello everyone,

Now that I've got my scope and Rifle situation figured out, I'm looking to start reloading for my 300 Weatherby. I've been getting some lessons in this, so with help from more experienced people that have been teaching me I should be ready.

I really want to shoot the Hornady ELD-X, due to its high bc. But also because I like to shoot a lot and don't want to spend a ton on bullets. If I went with bergers I'd be in almost $1 a shot just with the bullet. I really just want to have one load to do it all, for everything from targets to deer, elk and antelope. This is due to the fact I really like Kenton turrets and their simplicity, so I can't change loads all the time, once I find one that shoots very well I will likely stock up on bullets for a long time.

I looked at the numbers on weatherbys site and it looks like the 180 is the best of both worlds as far as trajectory and energy go. That's why I think the 178 will be a good starting place. Would the 200gr be better?

I will be shooting these out of a 24" Vanguard S2. I have high hopes for an elk trip in the next few years and I want to make sure this bullets is tough enough to not blow up or fragment if I were to get a close shot, but I also want to be able to have minimal meat damage on things like deer. I practice out to 400 now weekly, but I would like to feel comfortable on game out to 600.

I have taken an antelope with 150 grain nosler bt out of this Rifle, and I was pleasantly surprised with the way it performed with minimal meat damage, but I know this isn't a bullet for elk. This round was handloaded and only coming out at about 3150fps.

So why is it that the eldx bullets are only $35 for 100, while things like accubonds are $35 for 50, roughly.

I will be using Norma brass and federal 215m primers. Any other load info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all of the great advice I've been given so far, looking forward to more!

Hello everyone,

Now that I've got my scope and Rifle situation figured out, I'm looking to start reloading for my 300 Weatherby. I've been getting some lessons in this, so with help from more experienced people that have been teaching me I should be ready.

I really want to shoot the Hornady ELD-X, due to its high bc. But also because I like to shoot a lot and don't want to spend a ton on bullets. If I went with bergers I'd be in almost $1 a shot just with the bullet. I really just want to have one load to do it all, for everything from targets to deer, elk and antelope. This is due to the fact I really like Kenton turrets and their simplicity, so I can't change loads all the time, once I find one that shoots very well I will likely stock up on bullets for a long time.

I looked at the numbers on weatherbys site and it looks like the 180 is the best of both worlds as far as trajectory and energy go. That's why I think the 178 will be a good starting place. Would the 200gr be better?

I will be shooting these out of a 24" Vanguard S2. I have high hopes for an elk trip in the next few years and I want to make sure this bullets is tough enough to not blow up or fragment if I were to get a close shot, but I also want to be able to have minimal meat damage on things like deer. I practice out to 400 now weekly, but I would like to feel comfortable on game out to 600.

I have taken an antelope with 150 grain nosler bt out of this Rifle, and I was pleasantly surprised with the way it performed with minimal meat damage, but I know this isn't a bullet for elk. This round was handloaded and only coming out at about 3150fps.

So why is it that the eldx bullets are only $35 for 100, while things like accubonds are $35 for 50, roughly.

I will be using Norma brass and federal 215m primers. Any other load info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all of the great advice I've been given so far, looking forward to more!
The Accubonds are more because they are a bonded bullet, so higher manufacturing cost.
The 212 eldx would be a better choice in the 300. I use the 225 ELDM in my rifle, but if you are limiting your distance to 600 yards, the 212 is fine. Not that that the 212 is limited to that distance, but the 225 shines at long range!

My Weatherby liked both 225s the ELD and bthp.
It did not like the 208 with the powder I chose.
I do see a lot of guys try different bullets in the factory 300 Weatherbys, and would have a heck of time getting good loads. They would say, " This rifle shoots factory 180s into one hole, but I can't get it to shoot any reloads."
I noticed they always try the heavier bullets. I wonder if they would try 180 class bullets if it would group like factory 180s.
So, I personally like heavier bullets, but I wouldn't rule out a 178 if that's what the rifle liked. Especially at the speeds the Weatherby would throw them.

The Accubonds are more because they are a bonded bullet, so higher manufacturing cost.
The 212 eldx would be a better choice in the 300. I use the 225 ELDM in my rifle, but if you are limiting your distance to 600 yards, the 212 is fine. Not that that the 212 is limited to that distance, but the 225 shines at long range!

Great, thanks for the advice. So you recommend skipping the 200 all together and go for the 212 if I'm doing the eld-x?

Have you been pleased with this bullets performance on game?

There are justifiable reasons for 1 bullet to cost more than another. In the end the bullet is the true business end to your hunt experience. Don't shortcut your bullet choice anymore than you would shortcut your boots. Use a great bullet when it counts and practice with a cheep one for fun. Not sure how many rounds per year you intend to shoot, but do the math and figure out how much per year the cost diff is.

We have many customers who shot hundreds of rounds trying to get an acceptable load to no avail. Then out of desperation they went ahead and spent "the big bucks" to see if they could get their rifle to shoot our bullet. Done loading in less than 20 rounds and now they can practice. Would have spent much less in the end if they had started with the more expensive bullet. Lots to weigh out, but it not just the sticker price of a box of bullets.

I'm with Feenix and Rich. If you are going to use a non bonded bullet for elk then go heavier and sacrifice the vel. Well constructed bullets you can go lighter and increase your muzzle vel and have a better ballistic solution out to your 600y limit. I am in the camp that a good hunting bullet should deform properly regardless of shot angle/placement or impact vel as well as retain enough weight to get through the animal regardless of shot angle or placement. Rocks and paper only need to be touched by the projectile.

Steve

I haven't use
Great, thanks for the advice. So you recommend skipping the 200 all together and go for the 212 if I'm doing the eld-x?

Have you been pleased with this bullets performance on game?
I have not used the 212 personally, but you can't beat mass if you're shooting a thin skinned bullet, which the ELDM and x are.

AA988453-13CD-4E4A-9DDA-940274FAE3AF.jpeg A9B836D7-5056-4C07-B209-DD152762D1C4.jpeg
Both these moose were shot with 212 eldx from a 300 wby.
It worked fantastic, one a shoulder shot the other in the neck

With a coal of 3.63" I'm severely limited on powder and could only get to 2900 fps with 7828. Found a node at 2825 fps. I've switched to the 200gr eldx and found a node at 2990fps with same coal. H1000 and 7828 gave best results with tightest es.
In your vanguard you will not have the magazine length to properly use the 212.
Use the 200gr at most hunting ranges the extra velocity will compensate for the lower bc. In my situation the 200 has the advantage to 600yards or so.
If you want to use the 212, you can buy replacement bottom metal and run an ai mag getting you to 3.7" mag length with your vanguard

Thanks for the replies guys,

What do you think of the Berger VLD, I didn't realize that they were sold in boxes of 100. I would be willing to try this, but have heard mixed reviews about it being a real elk bullet such as the accubond, scirroco, or partition.

What do you think of the Berger VLD, I didn't realize that they were sold in boxes of 100. I would be willing to try this, but have heard mixed reviews about it being a real elk bullet such as the accubond, scirroco, or partition.
Bergers have long tapered noses... same issue with coal. If ur wanting to use high bc bullets consider the bottom metal change

Weatherby do perform best with long heavy for caliber bullets, because they offer the best bullet to bore alignment with the wby freebore

Last edited:
Even with the 24" barrel, go heavy. With the 300 Wby powder charge and a 200+ gr bullet it will perform better than a 178. My son shoots the 210gr Bergers in his Mark V 300 Wby quite accurately. I've used the Bergers in several calibers and they always perform very deadly.

I don't have personal experience with VLDs on elk, but I've spent a lot of time researching 30 cal bullets for elk in my 300 Win Mag. I think there are stories of poor terminal performance with all bullets - there is no perfect bullet - but from what I can tell the Bergers perform as well as any. I wouldn't hesitate to use them for a second... Just my $0.02.

Lots of solid advice here. Just worked up some loads for this same rifle with 190 Berger's using Norma cases and H4831 getting just over 2950 with no pressure signs, tried to push velocity and accuracy started to fall. Rifle seemed to settle with 190s. Could be different in your rifle of course. Have shot several elk with this bullet in my custom 300 Bee, no issues. Don't over look the Sierra Game Kings for performance and cost. The have been killing Elk and big game for years. A very consistent bullet with a good and honest BC. I agree, dont scrimp on bullets but there is a lot of hype out there and inflated numbers. You have a great rifle and cartridge for anything in North America. Find an accurate repeatable load with both proven and readily available components and SHOOT!