178 gr A-max question.

winmagman

Has anyone used this bullet on Elk sized animals? Am wondering what the max range would be,and how it performs. I was giving some thought to loading this in 300 win mag between 3000 and 3100 fps. Have heard a lot of good things about it for deer (whitetail)but not much for anything bigger.

Doc shot a 350 pound bear with a 105 a-max out of a .243 IMP. I would not shoot an Elk with a 178 unless you really wanted to kill it. Inside 800, dead elk.

I tested some 168gr Amax out of my Wby at 70yds. Impact vel was around 3100fps. This bullet went through 2 gallon milk jugs and speckled the third. The two milk jugs were vaporised. The third leaked badly.

By comparison, a Nosler BT went through three jugs. Vaporised the first two and split open the third.

The 178gr would probably go through all three jugs. Easy test for you to do.

For hunting elk, I would consider shoots from 150yds out. The further the better. High vel impacts that have to break bone may not be so good. However, through the rib cage, you may not have to do much gutting. Just pore out the inards.

Jerry

Any bullet that will blow clean through a 200 lb. deer and leave a two fist sized exit hole, will definetely kill an elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.