178 ELD-X and 300 WSM load data?

Very nice and what a shooter you have there. I'm anxiously awaiting my other components to get mine started. 300WSM seems to be a great cartridge and very versatile. I see many folks here that have great results with multiple loads. Thanks for all your feedback.
You are welcome good luck if I can help with any info hit me up

Here's my load with rl26 and 178 eldx
LR1965 - thanks for all the load information you provided. I just purchased a new LH Savage 16 in 300WSM for son and that makes it our 3rd - to go with a Browning XBolt and Winchester M70 Fwt. I have been using Superformance (67.5 gr) with 165 accubonds, interbonds, or 168 TTSX for 3025+ FPS and have had good success on everything from antelope to moose. Interested in reviving this thread as recently I was able to find 4 lb of RL26 and curious how it would work with the slightly heavier and sleeker 178 ELDX. I see you have an accurate load of 67.5 gr RL26 with this bullet, but don't see a velocity or barrel length. Could you provide?

PS - will be trying Superformance loads with 178 ELDX also (thanks Feenix and Tikka300man for Hornady data) - sb really interesting to compare with RL26.

Last edited:
Saskuatch - how'd the superformance loads w/ the 178 eld x go? I worked that one up a while back and got velocities well higher than the published numbers. Just interested to see what other people are getting with it. I even gave it a go with the 200 eld x with very similar results.

Saskuatch - how'd the superformance loads w/ the 178 eld x go? I worked that one up a while back and got velocities well higher than the published numbers. Just interested to see what other people are getting with it. I even gave it a go with the 200 eld x with very similar results.
Jaspepp - unfortunately haven't tracked down any 178 eldx's - so don't have any update yet using Superformance with them. But fyi have done more work with 165 AB and 168 TTSX 300WSM loads and getting nice groups (.6 to .7") with both Superformance and RL26 (in Savage and Winchester) - interesting RL26 is 125fps faster with same bullet and was a bit easier to find a good velocity node. All loads were under max. Will be using the Super/168 TTSX load (Winchester) for moose next week and RL26/165AB (Savage) for mulies in a month - looking forward to seeing these loads perform!

Just an update, checked my 300 WSM loads with superformance, figured I would list them since there doesn't seem to be too much data with it and heavy bullets

300 wsm, 200gr ELD X
-65gr superformance
-Federal LRM primer
-Nosler brass
-2.885" COAL (2.920" is my chamber max)
-2938 FPS w/ SD 8, ES 16
Shoots clover leafs all day @ 100 yds

300 wsm, 178 ELD X
-68gr superformance
-Federal LRM primer
-Nosler brass
-2.845" COAL
-3111 FPS
shot pretty well but didn't work on it too much, was super antsy to try out the 200gr.

Might be worth noting both loads ended up WAY faster than the published numbers in the hornady manual. Would be interesting to find out if this is typical as my creedmoor had the exact opposite velocity results, WAY slower, with a 143 ELD X and the same lot of superformance.

Just an update, checked my 300 WSM loads with superformance, figured I would list them since there doesn't seem to be too much data with it and heavy bullets

300 wsm, 200gr ELD X
-65gr superformance
-Federal LRM primer
-Nosler brass
-2.885" COAL (2.920" is my chamber max)
-2938 FPS w/ SD 8, ES 16
Shoots clover leafs all day @ 100 yds

300 wsm, 178 ELD X
-68gr superformance
-Federal LRM primer
-Nosler brass
-2.845" COAL
-3111 FPS
shot pretty well but didn't work on it too much, was super antsy to try out the 200gr.

Might be worth noting both loads ended up WAY faster than the published numbers in the hornady manual. Would be interesting to find out if this is typical as my creedmoor had the exact opposite velocity results, WAY slower, with a 143 ELD X and the same lot of superformance.
I get 2954 fps with the 200 gr ELDX in my 300 WSM using RL17. Can't remember the load exactly. I got the load info from Hornady when they first released the ELDX bullets
The last bull elk I shot with it dropped so fast it looked like he got hit by lightning

I get 2954 fps with the 200 gr ELDX in my 300 WSM using RL17. Can't remember the load exactly. I got the load info from Hornady when they first released the ELDX bullets
The last bull elk I shot with it dropped so fast it looked like he got hit by lightning
What length barrel are you using to get the 2954 FPS with the 200 gr ELDX?

Try these loads, velocity given is the maximum you can hope for. The RL 22 data is from Alliant, the rest are from Hornady
COAL is 2.840"

WLRM primers except RL 22

Superformance 64.6 to 69.6 grains 3100 fps

RL 22 63.0 to 67.0 grains 3000 fps (Fed 210 primers)

RL 17 60.0 to 64.0 grains 3000 fps

H4350 59.4 to 63.4 grains 2900
Try these loads, velocity given is the maximum you can hope for. The RL 22 data is from Alliant, the rest are from Hornady
COAL is 2.840"

WLRM primers except RL 22

Superformance 64.6 to 69.6 grains 3100 fps

RL 22 63.0 to 67.0 grains 3000 fps (Fed 210 primers)

RL 17 60.0 to 64.0 grains 3000 fps

H4350 59.4 to 63.4 grains 2900 fps
What length barrel are you using to get the 2954 FPS with the ELDX?

Oh ok, I know it is odd, but I was planning on doing a 300 wsm build with a 23" barrel and I was hoping to get around 2900 FPS with either the 178 grain ELDX or the 200 grain ELDX.

Just my two cent but I worked up up load in my 300 wsm with the 178 eldx with w760 and n550. W760 ended up being faster and more accurate out of my rifle

OK, I'm probably going to get shot for this, but I just bought a 300wsm and took it to the range yesterday. Shot some 165g federal ammunition and it shot like a dream(.5moa). Just ordered five boxes of ELDX 200 grain off gunbroker and going to see how it performs. It is a 26 inch barrel on a Christensen Custom with Rem700. Is there any other box ammunition I should heavily consider for long range hunting that I can just buy off of the shelf or order online that any of y'all would highly suggest I buy a couple boxes of to test? I am not a reloader and I just don't have the time to start another hobby. Not afraid to have my buddies cook me some loads if I need to. I have friends that reload. Thanks in advance. Please forgive me if I have terrible forum etiquette. I think this is my third post ever. I will try to assimilate as quickly as possible. Don't hesitate to tell me if I'm in the wrong place with these questions.

OK, I'm probably going to get shot for this, but I just bought a 300wsm and took it to the range yesterday. Shot some 165g federal ammunition and it shot like a dream(.5moa). Just ordered five boxes of ELDX 200 grain off gunbroker and going to see how it performs. It is a 26 inch barrel on a Christensen Custom with Rem700. Is there any other box ammunition I should heavily consider for long range hunting that I can just buy off of the shelf or order online that any of y'all would highly suggest I buy a couple boxes of to test? I am not a reloader and I just don't have the time to start another hobby. Not afraid to have my buddies cook me some loads if I need to. I have friends that reload. Thanks in advance. Please forgive me if I have terrible forum etiquette. I think this is my third post ever. I will try to assimilate as quickly as possible. Don't hesitate to tell me if I'm in the wrong place with these questions.
This thread is about hand load development for the 300 WSM. Usually if you do a search for "factory ammo for the 300 WSM" you'd get more of what you're looking for. Or start your own thread asking for help about your topic/question.

Nice purchase though and good luck with it.