178 Amax's in .308?

Kobra

So I got a few of above, some Lapua brass, some BR2's and all the usuals - BLC-2, Varget and RL-15. In Hornady's book, max Varget load is 43.2 and RL15 is 41.4 but not the exact same set of components. I google to just compare and tons of people are loading several grains above that with both powders as their warm load. What gives? Hornady's book a little light? I am not interested in a nuclear load but where's this discrepancy coming from?

try 43-44g of varget.this works for a 175g smk.3 more grains want hurt.some even use up to 45g of varget.just work up and look for pressure signs and you should find a sweet spot.gun)
John

Kobra,
Compare the low max loads in the Hornady loading manual to the maximum on the websites for those powder makers.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp (for Varget and BL-C2, loaded at 2.800 COAL)
Varget max is 45.0gr and BL-C2 max is 46.0gr (for both 175 and 180gr bullets)

Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide (RL-15 loaded at 2.800 COAL)
RL-15 max is 45.0gr (for 180gr bullet)

For Varget and RL-15 there is an accuracy node at 45.0gr and most people use the accuracy node at 43.5/43.6gr. If you want a modest load there is also an accuracy node at 42.2gr. I found with the 178gr AMAX bullets that I needed to have a jump of .015 to .020 to maximize accuracy (jump from ogive to lands).

Last edited:
I use 45 grains of varget and show no pressure signs, I think these bullets are awesome and I too had to seat them out further than my smk to get them to group good.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts