175 Match King

george

I just took my first deer with a Match King, I was very skeptical about march bullets on deer, but I am surprised @ the performance!! Chris Matthews just built a 308 for me , the rifle is superb, shoots better then I hoped it would. First hunt with match kings & first deer. I will probably use match kings from here on out. I WAS one of the buggest skeptics on match kings for game
Also, looking at the tips of the match kings, some are slightly uneven, will this effect accuracy?
Thanks for any input

George,

Well, I'm glad to see another believer.... truth is they just plain work....

Nice to see another one of Chris' rifles being put to good use!

THe Meplat on the SMK's tends to be uneven in some batches I really havn't found A LOT of accuracy problems... but there are some BR guys who have a Meplat uniformer and make all the meplats as close to perfect as possible.. this does tend to shrink your LR groups a bit.... I have found the BC numbers go down a bit but the accuracy in some of the BR guys rifles seem to get a tad better....

try one see what ya think I think I paid $45 .. hell I'll send ya mine to try it if ya want....

Ric

Ric
Are the meplat uniformers caliber specific or will one do different projectile weights and calibers?
APB

yyup caliber specific.. ie: .244, .25, .30, Ihave the .30 will be glad to loan it out for anyone wanting to try it before they buy it.....

Guys, If I'm understanding you correctly, you're using the 175 BTHP SMK for game rather than a gameking in say a soft-point?
Last season I was using the Factory Federal Gold Metal Match in 168 bthp. I actually switched to a Gameking, with Federals 165 btsp. The standard Vel. is only about 100fps faster so the ballistics compared to the 168 weren't that diff., but I really don't like it. I prefer the Gold Metal Match 168 bthp. Do you think I'd get good results hunting white-tail and Black Bear with the Gold Metal Match 168bthp?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.