175 LRX Sucks In 300 RUM - help

Engineering101

So far this bullet is not working. I've tried several powders, amounts and seating depths. But before I give up on it, is there anyone who has this bullet shooting good (sub MOA) in their 300 RUM? What is the magic recipe? Thanks.

I agree..... No need to shoot anything under 200grains out of the 300 RUM

I was working up 200LRX but then the Nosler wildcats came online.

I did try them briefly in my RUM. Looks like 89gr RL22, Fed 215 and OAL of 3.66. All my notes say is "sub moa". Did not play with them long as they seemed light for that cartridge........but they sure do go! :).

Also had good results with H-1000 and the 200gr lrx. I get half moa at 500 yards with this combo. I still load the 200lrx as well as the 230vld over RL33.

Seating depths? I've noticed Barnes like a "big" jump. I test them in big increments of .040" as deep as they will go.

Thanks for the info. The reason I'm attempting to use the light for caliber 175 LRX is I've been educated that you want this situation with Barnes bullets. Keep the velocities up high (above 3,000 fps) to get both big hydrostatic shock on the animal and complete pass through resulting in more DRT shots. Assuming I can get it to shoot, I intend to use this load for 0 to 500 yards type shots. Past that I'll switch to the Berger 210 HVLDs which shoot great.

I don't like the idea of using the Bergers up close as it will mess up the meat more than a Barnes and I don't like the idea of using the Barnes at long range since they have lower BCs and don't expand as good at lower velocities thus acting more like a FMJ. Does this really matter? No not really but it is fun to mess with.

I tend not to use RL-22 because of the temp instability but RL-23 should work great in its place. That is in an area of powder burn rate I haven't tried yet. Might work. All I have to do now is find some.

I run the 175 gr. LRX in my very light weight 300 RUM, and they shoot extremely well.

Rem. brass
Rem 9 1/2 mag. primers
3.816 ogive measurement using Sinclair ogive ga. ( max for my mag. )
start at 90 gr. of IMR 7828 ssc and work your way up if safe.

Hope this helps. Ron

Seating depths? I've noticed Barnes like a "big" jump. I test them in big increments of .040" as deep as they will go.

+1. I always shoot Barnes bullets with a light crimp in the shortest channel. If it doesn't shoot like at that length I would just go heavier. Hearing alot of good news about the 215 hybrid from berger.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Have seen this bullet shot through 3 rifles all 300 RUM. 2 semi custom and one factory Remington. The semi-custom rifles shot under 1/2 MOA (1 of them shot just outside of 1/4 MOA) the factory rifle I only viewed a 100 yard target and it shot around 5/8 inch center. These rifles all propelled this bullet at around 3100 fps using
around 93 grains Retumbo powder. The bullets liked around .050 jump. CCI Magnum primers, Remington brass.
You didn't say if you had tried anything else.....so if you have please disregard .......if not ,maybe the bullet is not the problem?
Check accuracy using different bullet to verify the root cause. Sometimes in our quest for accuracy, the basics get forgot. (loose scope bases, rings, stock bolts loose)

Hope this helps.

Not the same bullet weight or cartridge, but my cousin tried Barnes 165s or 168gr TTSXs in his .308 WIN. This rifle shot Bergers and A-MAXs into one hole and he just bought a sample pack of the Barnes to try. We jumped them .020 and they shot 1" at 100yds and were super sporadic at long range. The Bergers and Hornadys that he normally shot went into a single ragged hole at 100yds and under 1/2 MOA out to 700yds. Maybe they need to jumped more than .02 as others have suggested.

Guys,

Good info here. Thanks for sharing. It looks like this bullet can shoot very well in a 300 RUM. Mine has shot 1/2" groups at 200 yards more than once with the 210 Bergers so the problem is not with the rifle or bullet but rather the guy running the reloading press (me). I think I will give some Retumbo a try to change up the dynamics and see if I can get on a node.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.