175 and 190 grain hunting VLD's?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Rockfish Dave, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Rockfish Dave

Rockfish Dave Well-Known Member

Any one have load data for a 22" 308 WIN using the 175 and 190 grain hunting VLD's?

I have the following to work with:

Powders:

H4350
    H4831sc
    Varget
    Reloader 15
    Reloader 17
    Brass:
    Assortment of military brass
    Lapua
    Primers:
    Br2
    and CCI Large Rifle

Thanks
    - Dave

2. reeldawg

reeldawg Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I shoot the 168 VLDs with Varget and a 210M. It shoots great in my .308

3. valleyloader

valleyloader Well-Known Member

I shoot 45 grains of varget behind a 175 hunting VLD touching the lands with a BR-2 primer in Lapua brass, shoots great in my 26" barrel as well as my friend's 20" barrel. The charge is listed in the hodgdon manual as the maximum charge so use caution and judgment during load development and use reduced starting loads. Also differences in case thickness can cause overpressure if you aren't careful if you intend to use the military brass as well as lapua. While I was developing my load accuracy was great in both rifles from 44 grains to 45 grains, so I would say that this combo is pretty forgiving as far as finding the sweet spot. I haven't played with the seating depth because I don't care if I have to single feed, but according to Berger often you can find accuracy over .100" off the lands. In the rifles that I am loading this load for I am seeing consistent .5 MOA groups out to 500 which I consider satisfactory considering they are factory remington barreled actions.

4. Rockfish Dave

Rockfish Dave Well-Known Member

Thanks!

I guess no one is shooting the 190's?

5. reeldawg

reeldawg Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

There is a thread on this forum where some one was shooting 215 VLDs out of a .308

6. benchracer

benchracer Well-Known Member

Yes. MontanaMarine did some work with both 215 Hybrids and 208 AMAX's in a .308.